Marginal note:Use of interpreter
156. A deputy returning officer may appoint and swear a language or sign language interpreter to assist the officer in communicating to an elector any information that is necessary to enable him or her to vote.
Marginal note:Elector who is confined to bed
157. (1) At a polling station that has been established in a home for the aged or in a chronic care facility, when the deputy returning officer considers it necessary, the deputy returning officer and the poll clerk shall
(a) suspend temporarily the voting in the polling station; and
(b) with the approval of the person in charge of the institution, carry the ballot box, ballots and other necessary election documents from room to room in the institution to take the votes of electors who are confined to bed and ordinarily resident in the polling division in which the institution is situated.
Marginal note:Procedure for taking the votes
(2) When the vote of an elector who is confined to bed is taken, the deputy returning officer shall give the elector the assistance necessary to enable the elector to vote, and not more than one representative of each candidate may be present.
Marginal note:Transfer certificate for candidate
158. (1) A candidate whose name appears on the list of electors for a polling station is entitled on request to receive a transfer certificate to vote at another polling station in the same electoral district.
Marginal note:Transfer certificate for election officer
(2) A returning officer or an assistant returning officer shall issue a transfer certificate to any person whose name appears on the official list of electors for a polling station and who has been appointed, after the last day of advance polls, to act as an election officer for another polling station.
(3) A transfer certificate issued under subsection (2) authorizes the person to vote at the polling station named in it only if, on polling day, the person performs the duty specified in the certificate at the place mentioned in the certificate.
Marginal note:Transfer certificate for elector whose polling station has moved
(4) If an elector’s polling station moves to another location after the notice of confirmation of registration has been sent, an elector who attends at the polling station set out in the notice is entitled on request to receive a transfer certificate to vote at that polling station.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 158;
- 2007, c. 21, s. 24.
Marginal note:Transfer certificate for elector with a disability
159. (1) An elector who is in a wheelchair or who has a physical disability, and who is unable to vote without difficulty in his or her polling division because it does not have a polling station with level access, may apply for a transfer certificate to vote at another polling station with level access in the same electoral district.
Marginal note:Application requirements
(2) The application shall be in the prescribed form and shall be personally delivered to the returning officer or assistant returning officer for the elector’s electoral district by the elector, his or her friend, spouse, common-law partner or relative, or a relative of his or her spouse or common-law partner.
Marginal note:Issue of transfer certificate to disabled elector
(3) The returning officer or assistant returning officer shall issue a transfer certificate in the prescribed form, and hand the certificate to the person who delivered the application to the officer, if the officer is satisfied that
(a) the elector’s name appears on a list of electors for the electoral district; and
(b) the polling station established for the polling division in which the elector resides does not have level access.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 159, c. 12, s. 40;
- 2007, c. 21, s. 25.
- Date modified: