Canada Elections Act
Marginal note:Registration in person
161. (1) An elector whose name is not on the list of electors may register in person on polling day if the elector
(a) provides as proof of his or her identity and residence the piece or pieces of identification referred to in paragraph 143(2)(a) or (b), respectively; or
(b) proves his or her identity and residence by taking the prescribed oath, and is accompanied by an elector whose name appears on the list of electors for the same polling division and who
(i) provides the piece or pieces of identification referred to in paragraph 143(2)(a) or (b), respectively, and
(ii) vouches for him or her on oath in the prescribed form.
Marginal note:Place of registration
(2) Where subsection (1) applies, the registration may take place before
(a) a registration officer at a registration desk established under subsection 39(1); or
(b) a deputy returning officer at a polling station with respect to which the Chief Electoral Officer determines that the officer be authorized to receive registrations.
Marginal note:Representative of each candidate
(3) In the case of a registration under paragraph (2)(a), the registration officer shall permit one representative of each candidate in the electoral district to be present.
Marginal note:Registration certificate
(4) Where the elector satisfies the requirements of subsection (1), the registration officer or deputy returning officer, as the case may be, shall complete a registration certificate in the prescribed form authorizing the elector to vote and the elector shall sign it.
Marginal note:List deemed to be modified
(5) When a registration certificate is given under subsection (4), the list of electors is deemed, for the purposes of this Act, to have been modified in accordance with the certificate.
Marginal note:Prohibition — vouching for more than one elector
(6) No elector shall vouch for more than one elector at an election.
Marginal note:Prohibition — vouchee acting as voucher
(7) An elector who has been vouched for at an election may not vouch for another elector at that election.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 161;
- 2007, c. 21, s. 26.
- Date modified: