Enforcement of Monetary Penalties
Marginal note:Registration of certificate
40. (1) A certificate issued under subparagraph 39(4)(b)(i) may be registered in the Federal Court and when registered has the same force and effect, and all proceedings may be taken on the certificate, as if the certificate were a judgment in that Court obtained by Her Majesty in right of Canada against the employer named in the certificate for a debt in the amount set out in the certificate.
Marginal note:Recovery of costs and charges
(2) All reasonable costs and charges associated with registration of the certificate are recoverable in like manner as if they were part of the amount determined by the Tribunal under subparagraph 39(4)(b)(i).
41. (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) defining, for the purposes of the Act, the expressions “employee”, “hired”, “occupational group”, “promoted”, “salary” and “terminated”;
(b) prescribing the manner of calculating the number of employees employed by an employer for the purpose of determining when an employer is considered to employ one hundred or more employees;
(c) governing the collection of information and the conduct of analyses referred to in paragraph 9(1)(a) and the conduct of reviews referred to in paragraph 9(1)(b);
(d) governing the establishment and maintenance of employment equity records referred to in section 17;
(e) prescribing anything that is to be prescribed by this Act; and
(f) generally, for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act.
(2) A regulation made pursuant to subsection (1) may be of general application or may apply to a particular employer or group of employers.
Marginal note:Where regulations apply to public sector
(3) No regulation may be made under subsection (1) that applies to the public sector without prior consultation with the Treasury Board.
Marginal note:Inconsistent meanings
(4) No expression defined pursuant to paragraph (1)(a) that applies to the public sector shall be given a meaning that is inconsistent with the meaning that that expression or any similar expression is given under the Public Service Employment Act.
Marginal note:Adaptation of Act to certain portions
(5) The Governor in Council may, taking into account the operational effectiveness of the appropriate portion of the public sector referred to in paragraph (a) or (b), make any regulation that the Governor in Council considers necessary to adapt this Act or the regulations or any provision of this Act or the regulations to accommodate
(a) the Canadian Security Intelligence Service; or
(b) where an order is made under paragraph 4(1)(d) in relation to the Canadian Forces or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Canadian Forces or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
(6) A regulation made under subsection (5) shall be made on the recommendation of the Treasury Board after consultation with
(a) in the case of a regulation respecting the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness; and
(b) in the case of a regulation respecting the Canadian Forces, the Minister of National Defence.
Marginal note:Requirements may differ
(7) The effect of a regulation made under subsection (5) with respect to any matter may differ from the effect of the Act or the regulations or of any provision of the Act or the regulations with respect to that matter.
- 1995, c. 44, s. 41;
- 2005, c. 10, s. 34.
- Date modified: