Marginal note:Payments to party that instituted proceedings
50. Subject to section 51, where garnishable moneys are paid under this Part to or for the benefit of a party that instituted garnishment proceedings permitted under this Part in excess of the amount that should be paid to or for the benefit of that party, the amount thereof is a debt due to Her Majesty by that party and may be recovered as such in accordance with the Financial Administration Act or by deduction or set-off against any garnishable moneys payable to or for the benefit of that party under this Part.
51. Where it is determined that the reason for the payment of excess moneys referred to in section 50 is that the judgment debtor was not entitled to the garnishable moneys garnisheed under this Part, the amount of the excess is a debt due to Her Majesty by the judgment debtor and may be recovered as such in accordance with the Financial Administration Act or the legislation governing the garnishable moneys garnisheed under this Part.
Marginal note:Ranking of Her Majesty
52. When a judgment debtor is indebted to
(a) Her Majesty, or
(b) Her Majesty in right of a province on account of taxes payable to any province, and an agreement exists between Canada and the province under which Canada is authorized to collect the tax on behalf of the province,
Her Majesty ranks in priority over the party that instituted the garnishment proceedings permitted under this Part with respect to any garnishable moneys that are payable to the judgment debtor notwithstanding that a garnishee summons in respect of those moneys has been served on the Minister, and the amount of the indebtedness may be recovered or retained in any manner authorized by law.
- R.S., 1985, c. 4 (2nd Supp.), s. 52;
- 2001, c. 4, s. 81.
Marginal note:Multiple garnishee summonses
53. Where more than one garnishee summons is served on the Minister under this Part in respect of the same judgment debtor and the garnishable moneys payable to the judgment debtor are insufficient to satisfy all the garnishee summonses, payment shall be made on a proportional basis.
Marginal note:No execution against Her Majesty
54. No execution shall issue on a judgment given against Her Majesty in garnishment proceedings permitted by this Part.
Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act
Marginal note:Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act
55. In the event that a garnishee summons that binds Her Majesty may be honoured under this Part or the Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act, the garnishee summons shall be honoured first under the Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act and secondly under this Part.
- Date modified: