Marginal note:Contravention of Act or regulations
154. Where a director, chairperson or chief executive officer of a Crown corporation has wilfully contravened this Part or the regulations, or has wilfully caused the corporation to contravene this Part or the regulations, the Governor in Council may suspend him, with or without remuneration, for such period as the Governor in Council deems appropriate.
- R.S., 1985, c. F-11, s. 154;
- 2005, c. 30, s. 133(E).
Marginal note:Fraud against Her Majesty
154.01 (1) A director, officer or employee of a Crown corporation who, by deceit, falsehood or other fraudulent means, in connection with the collection, management or disbursement of money belonging to the corporation, defrauds the corporation of any money, securities, property or service is guilty of an indictable offence and liable on conviction
(a) if the amount of the money or the value of the securities, property or service does not exceed $5,000, to a fine not exceeding $5,000 and to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
(b) if the amount of the money or the value of the securities, property or service exceeds $5,000, to a fine not exceeding that amount or that value and to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.
(2) A person who is convicted of an offence under subsection (1) in respect of a corporation is, after the time for final appeal has expired, ineligible to be an employee of the corporation.
- 2006, c. 9, s. 269.
Implementation of the North American Free Trade Agreement
Marginal note:Giving effect to the Agreement
154.1 (1) In exercising its powers and performing its duties, a Crown corporation shall give effect to those provisions of the Agreement that pertain to that corporation.
(2) The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Treasury Board and the appropriate Minister made at the request of a Crown corporation, make such regulations in relation to that corporation as the Governor in Council considers necessary for the purpose of implementing any provision of the Agreement that pertains to that corporation.
(3) In subsections (1) and (2), “Agreement” has the same meaning as in subsection 2(1) of the North American Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act.
- 1993, c. 44, s. 157.
Marginal note:Deduction and set-off
155. (1) Where any person is indebted to
(a) Her Majesty in right of Canada, or
(b) Her Majesty in right of a province on account of taxes payable to any province, and an agreement exists between Canada and the province whereby Canada is authorized to collect the tax on behalf of the province,
the appropriate Minister responsible for the recovery or collection of the amount of the indebtedness may authorize the retention of the amount of the indebtedness by way of deduction from or set-off against any sum of money that may be due or payable by Her Majesty in right of Canada to the person or the estate of that person.
Marginal note:Payments in respect of which Canada has contributed
(2) Where, in the opinion of the Minister of Finance,
(a) any person is indebted to a province by reason of having received from the province a payment, in respect of which Canada has contributed under any Act, to which that person was not entitled, and
(b) the province has made reasonable efforts to effect recovery of the amount of such indebtedness,
the Minister may require the retention of the amount of the indebtedness by way of deduction from or set-off against any sum of money that may be due and payable by Her Majesty in right of Canada to that person, and the amount so deducted, less the portion thereof that in the opinion of the Minister is proportionate to the contribution in respect thereof made by Canada, may be paid to the province out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
Marginal note:Recovery of over-payment
(3) The Receiver General may recover any over-payment made out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund on account of salary, wages, pay or pay and allowances out of any sum of money that may be due or payable by Her Majesty in right of Canada to the person to whom the over-payment was made.
Marginal note:Consent of other Minister
(4) No amount may be retained under subsection (1) without the consent of the appropriate Minister under whose responsibility the payment of the sum of money due or payable referred to in that subsection would but for that subsection be made.
- R.S., c. F-10, s. 95;
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 170, s. 21;
- 1984, c. 31, s. 12.
- Date modified: