Membership of Agencies
18. (1) The members of an agency shall be appointed by the Governor in Council to hold office during pleasure, or in such other manner including election by producers, and for such term as is provided in the proclamation establishing the agency or in a proclamation issued under subsection 17(2) in respect of the agency.
Marginal note:Chairman and vice-chairman
(2) The Governor in Council shall designate one member of an agency to be the chairman thereof and another member to be the vice-chairman thereof, or may provide for the manner of such designation in the proclamation establishing the agency.
(3) A person who has reached the age of seventy years is not eligible to be appointed a member of an agency and a member thereof ceases to hold office on reaching the age of seventy years.
Marginal note:Temporary substitute members
(4) If a member of an agency, other than the chairman, is absent or unable to act, the Governor in Council may, unless otherwise provided in the proclamation establishing the agency, appoint a temporary substitute member on such conditions as the Governor in Council prescribes.
- 1970-71-72, c. 65, s. 19;
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 47, s. 16.
19. The chairman of an agency shall preside at meetings of the agency but in the event of the absence or incapacity of the chairman, or if the office of chairman is vacant, the vice-chairman of the agency shall act as chairman for the time being.
- 1970-71-72, c. 65, s. 20.
Marginal note:Salaries and fees
20. (1) A member of an agency who devotes the whole of their time or a portion of their time on a continuous basis to the performance of their duties as a member shall be paid by the agency a salary to be fixed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Council, and the other members of the agency shall be paid by the agency any fees for attendances at meetings of the agency or any of its committees that are provided by by-law of the agency made under paragraph 25(c).
(2) Each member of an agency or of a consultative or advisory committee of an agency is entitled to be paid by the agency any travel and living expenses incurred by them in the performance of their duties under this Act that are provided by by-law of the agency made under paragraph 25(c).
- R.S., 1985, c. F-4, s. 20;
- 2015, c. 3, s. 87(E).
Objects and Powers
21. The objects of an agency are
(a) to promote a strong, efficient and competitive production and marketing industry for the regulated product or products in relation to which it may exercise its powers; and
(b) to have due regard to the interests of producers and consumers of the regulated product or products.
- 1970-71-72, c. 65, s. 22.
- Date modified: