Marginal note:No property and no liabilities
380. (1) A company that has no property and no liabilities may, if authorized by a special resolution of the shareholders or, if there are no shareholders, by a resolution of all the directors, apply to the Minister for letters patent dissolving the company.
Marginal note:Dissolution by letters patent
(2) Where the Minister has received an application under subsection (1) and is satisfied that all the circumstances so warrant, the Minister may issue letters patent dissolving the company.
Marginal note:Effect of letters patent
(3) A company in respect of which letters patent are issued under subsection (2) ceases to exist on the day stated in the letters patent.
Marginal note:Proposing liquidation
381. (1) The voluntary liquidation and dissolution of a company, other than a company referred to in subsection 380(1),
(a) may be proposed by its directors; or
(b) may be initiated by way of a proposal made by a shareholder who is entitled to vote at an annual meeting of shareholders in accordance with sections 147 and 148.
Marginal note:Terms must be set out
(2) A notice of any meeting of shareholders at which the voluntary liquidation and dissolution of a company is to be proposed shall set out the terms of the proposal.
Marginal note:Shareholders’ resolution
382. Where the voluntary liquidation and dissolution of a company is proposed, the company may apply to the Minister for letters patent dissolving the company if authorized by a special resolution of the shareholders or, where the company has issued more than one class of shares, by special resolution of each class of shareholders whether or not those shareholders are otherwise entitled to vote.
Marginal note:Approval of Minister required
383. (1) No action directed toward the voluntary liquidation and dissolution of a company shall be taken by a company, other than as provided in sections 381 and 382, until an application made by the company pursuant to section 382 has been approved by the Minister.
Marginal note:Conditional approval
(2) If the Minister is satisfied on the basis of an application made under section 382 that the circumstances warrant the voluntary liquidation and dissolution of a company, the Minister may, by order, approve the application.
Marginal note:Effect of approval
(3) Where the Minister has approved an application made pursuant to section 382 with respect to a company, the company shall not carry on business except to the extent necessary to complete its voluntary liquidation.
Marginal note:Liquidation process
(4) Where the Minister has approved an application made pursuant to section 382 with respect to a company, the company shall
(a) cause notice of the approval to be sent to each known claimant, except policyholders, against and creditor of the company;
(b) publish notice of the approval once a week for four consecutive weeks in the Canada Gazette and once a week for two consecutive weeks in one or more newspapers in general circulation in each province in which the company transacted any business within the preceding twelve months;
(c) proceed to collect its property, dispose of property that is not to be distributed in kind to its shareholders, discharge or provide for all its obligations and do all other acts required to liquidate its business; and
(d) [Repealed, 1997, c. 15, s. 239]
(e) after giving the notice required under paragraphs (a) and (b) and adequately providing for the payment or discharge of all its obligations, distribute its remaining property, either in money or in kind, among its shareholders according to their respective rights.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 383;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 239;
- 2012, c. 5, s. 126.
- Date modified: