Marginal note:Appointing proxyholder
545. (1) A member who is entitled to vote by by-law of a society may, if the by-laws of the society so provide, by executing an instrument of proxy, appoint a proxyholder or one or more alternate proxyholders, who are not required to be members of the society, to attend and act at the meeting in the manner and to the extent authorized by the proxy and with the authority conferred by the proxy.
Marginal note:Validity of proxies
(2) An instrument of proxy is not valid at a meeting of a society unless it is filed with the secretary of the society at least ten days before the date of the meeting and it may be revoked at any time.
Marginal note:Societies to inform members of rights
(3) A society for which an order approving the commencement and carrying on of business of life insurance has been made under this Act that has members who are entitled to vote at meetings of the society shall advise each of those members at least once a year by means of a statement printed in prominent type on a premium notice, premium receipt or dividend notice or otherwise, of the rights of the member to attend and to vote in person or by proxy at those meetings and to obtain a blank instrument of proxy on request therefor in writing to the secretary of the society, but in the case of a member who is not in receipt of a regular annual premium notice from the society, notice of the rights of the member to attend and to vote at meetings of the society may be given only at least once every five years.
Marginal note:Valuation balance sheet to be sent to members
546. Every society for which an order approving the commencement and carrying on of business has been made under this Act shall, not later than June 1 in each year, mail to each member of the society a copy of the valuation balance sheet in the prescribed form and an explanation of the facts concerning the condition of the society or, in lieu thereof, shall publish in its official paper that balance sheet and explanation and mail a copy of the issue of the paper containing the balance sheet and explanation to each of the society’s members.
Marginal note:Auditors and actuaries
547. (1) Divisions XIII and XIV of Part VI apply to societies with such modifications as the circumstances require.
Marginal note:Appointment of actuary
(2) The directors of a former-Act society shall, forthwith after the coming into force of this Part, appoint the actuary of the society.
548. (1) Unless this Act otherwise provides, the supreme governing body of a society may by resolution make, amend or repeal any by-law that regulates the business or affairs of the society.
Marginal note:Deemed by-laws
(2) Any matter provided for in the incorporating instrument of a former-Act society on the coming into force of this Part that, under this Act, would be provided for in the by-laws of a society is deemed to be provided for in the by-laws of the society.
Marginal note:Copies to Superintendent
(3) Within thirty days after a by-law of a society comes into effect or is amended, the society shall send a copy of the by-law or the amendment to the Superintendent. A society shall send to the Superintendent, within six months after the coming into force of this subsection, its by-laws that are in effect on the coming into force of this subsection.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 548;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 287.
- Date modified: