Marginal note:Application for incorporation
711. An application for letters patent to incorporate an insurance holding company setting out the names of the first directors of the insurance holding company shall be filed with the Superintendent, together with such other information, material and evidence as the Superintendent may require.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 711;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
Marginal note:Matters for consideration
712. Before issuing letters patent to incorporate an insurance holding company, the Minister shall take into account all matters that the Minister considers relevant to the application, including
(a) the nature and sufficiency of the financial resources of the applicant or applicants as a source of continuing financial support for the company that is proposed to be its subsidiary;
(b) the soundness and feasibility of the plans of the applicant or applicants for the future conduct and development of the business of the company that is proposed to be its subsidiary;
(c) the business record and experience of the applicant or applicants;
(d) the character and integrity of the applicant or applicants or, if the applicant or any of the applicants is a body corporate, its reputation for being operated in a manner that is consistent with the standards of good character and integrity;
(e) whether the insurance holding company will be operated responsibly by persons with the competence and experience suitable for involvement in the operation of a financial institution;
(f) the impact of any integration of the businesses and operations of the applicant or applicants with those of the insurance holding company and its affiliates on the conduct of those businesses and operations; and
(g) the best interests of the financial system in Canada.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 712;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
Marginal note:Contents of letters patent
713. (1) There shall be set out in the letters patent incorporating an insurance holding company
(a) the name of the insurance holding company;
(b) the province in which the head office of the insurance holding company is to be situated; and
(c) the date that the insurance holding company came, or is to come, into existence.
Marginal note:Provisions in letters patent
(2) The Minister may set out in the letters patent incorporating an insurance holding company any provision not contrary to this Act that the Minister considers advisable in order to take into account the particular circumstances of the proposed insurance holding company.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
(3) The Minister may impose such terms and conditions in respect of the issuance of letters patent incorporating an insurance holding company as the Minister considers necessary or appropriate.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 713;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 305.
- Date modified: