Marginal note:Affiliated insurance holding company
731 Despite section 730 and subject to section 732, an insurance holding company that is affiliated with another entity may, with the consent of that entity,
(a) be incorporated with, or change its name to, substantially the same name as that of the affiliated entity; or
(b) subject to any terms and conditions that may be prescribed, carry on business under or identify itself by a name, other than its corporate name, that is substantially the same as the corporate name of the affiliated entity or that is another name under which or with which the affiliated entity carries on business or otherwise identifies itself.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 731;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 313.
732 An insurance holding company may not be incorporated or continued with, or change its name to or carry on business or identify itself by, a name that is substantially the same as that of a company unless the name contains words that, in the opinion of the Superintendent, indicate to the public that the insurance holding company is distinct from any company that is a subsidiary of the insurance holding company.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 732;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
Marginal note:French or English form of name
733 (1) The name of an insurance holding company may be set out in its letters patent in an English form, a French form, an English form and a French form or in a combined English and French form, and the insurance holding company may use and be legally designated by any such form.
Marginal note:Mandatory abbreviation
(2) Despite any other provision of this Act and subject to the regulations, every insurance holding company shall have as part of its name, the abbreviations “ihc” or “spa”.
Marginal note:Alternate name
(3) An insurance holding company may identify itself outside Canada by its name in any language and the insurance holding company may use and be legally designated by any such form of its name outside Canada.
Marginal note:Other name
(4) Subject to subsection (5) and section 880, an insurance holding company may carry on business under or identify itself by a name other than its corporate name.
(5) If an insurance holding company is carrying on business under or identifying itself by a name other than its corporate name, the Superintendent may, by order, direct the insurance holding company not to use that other name if the Superintendent is of the opinion that that other name is a name referred to in any of paragraphs 730(a) to (e).
(6) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the use of the abbreviations “ihc” or “spa” in the name of insurance holding companies.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 733;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
- Date modified: