Marginal note:Consultations with the provinces
10. (1) The Minister may consult with the governments of the provinces on immigration and refugee protection policies and programs, in order to facilitate cooperation and to take into consideration the effects that the implementation of this Act may have on the provinces.
Marginal note:Required consultations
(2) The Minister must consult with the governments of the provinces respecting the number of foreign nationals in each class who will become permanent residents each year, their distribution in Canada taking into account regional economic and demographic requirements, and the measures to be undertaken to facilitate their integration into Canadian society.
PART 1IMMIGRATION TO CANADA
Division 0.1Invitation to Make an Application
Marginal note:Application for permanent residence — invitation to apply
10.1 (1) A foreign national who seeks to enter or remain in Canada as a member of a class that is referred to in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(a) may make an application for permanent residence only if the Minister has issued them an invitation to do so, the invitation has not been cancelled under subsection 10.2(5) and the applicable period specified in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(k) has not expired.
(2) An instruction may be given under paragraph 10.3(1)(a) only in respect of a class that is part of the economic class referred to in subsection 12(2).
Marginal note:Provincial nominees
(2.1) In the case of the prescribed class of provincial nominees, an instruction may be given under paragraph 10.3(1)(a) in respect of the foreign nationals who are nominated by the government of a particular province in accordance with an agreement referred to in section 8, or in respect of a portion of those foreign nationals.
Marginal note:Expression of interest
(3) A foreign national who wishes to be invited to make an application must submit an expression of interest to the Minister by means of an electronic system in accordance with instructions given under section 10.3 unless the instructions provide that they may do so by other means.
Marginal note:Inadmissible foreign national
(4) A foreign national may not submit an expression of interest if they have been determined to be — and continue to be — inadmissible for misrepresentation.
Marginal note:New expression of interest
(5) A foreign national who has submitted an expression of interest may not submit another one before the expiry of the period referred to in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(f).
Marginal note:Failure to make application
(6) A foreign national who is invited to make an application and does not do so within the period specified in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(k) is not eligible to be invited to make an application in relation to the expression of interest on the basis of which the invitation was issued.
- 2013, c. 40, s. 290;
- 2014, c. 20, s. 306.
- Date modified: