Marginal note:Biometric information
11.1 A prescribed foreign national who makes an application for a temporary resident visa, study permit or work permit must follow the prescribed procedures for the collection of prescribed biometric information.
- 2012, c. 17, s. 6.
Marginal note:Visa or other document not to be issued
11.2 An officer may not issue a visa or other document in respect of an application for permanent residence to a foreign national who was issued an invitation under Division 0.1 to make that application if — at the time the invitation was issued or at the time the officer received their application — the foreign national did not meet the criteria set out in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(e) or did not have the qualifications on the basis of which they were ranked under an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(h) and were issued the invitation.
- 2014, c. 20, s. 300.
Selection of Permanent Residents
Marginal note:Family reunification
12. (1) A foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Marginal note:Economic immigration
(2) A foreign national may be selected as a member of the economic class on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada.
(3) A foreign national, inside or outside Canada, may be selected as a person who under this Act is a Convention refugee or as a person in similar circumstances, taking into account Canada’s humanitarian tradition with respect to the displaced and the persecuted.
Sponsorship of Foreign Nationals
Marginal note:Sponsorship of foreign nationals
13. (1) A Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or a group of Canadian citizens or permanent residents, a corporation incorporated under a law of Canada or of a province or an unincorporated organization or association under federal or provincial law — or any combination of them — may sponsor a foreign national, subject to the regulations.
(2) and (3) [Repealed, 2012, c. 17, s. 7]
Marginal note:Instructions of Minister
(4) An officer shall apply the regulations on sponsorship referred to in paragraph 14(2)(e) in accordance with any instructions that the Minister may make.
- 2001, c. 27, s. 13;
- 2012, c. 17, s. 7.
Marginal note:Undertaking binding
13.1 An undertaking given under this Act in respect of a foreign national — including a sponsorship undertaking — is binding on the person who gives it.
- 2012, c. 17, s. 8.
- Date modified: