Marginal note:Examination by officer
15. (1) An officer is authorized to proceed with an examination if a person makes an application to the officer in accordance with this Act or if an application is made under subsection 11(1.01).
Marginal note:Provincial criteria
(2) In the case of a foreign national referred to in subsection 9(1), an examination of whether the foreign national complies with the applicable selection criteria shall be conducted solely on the basis of documents delivered by the province indicating that the competent authority of the province is of the opinion that the foreign national complies with the province’s selection criteria.
(3) An officer may board and inspect any means of transportation bringing persons to Canada, examine any person carried by that means of transportation and any record or document respecting that person, seize and remove the record or document to obtain copies or extracts and hold the means of transportation until the inspection and examination are completed.
(4) The officer shall conduct the examination in accordance with any instructions that the Minister may give.
- 2001, c. 27, s. 15;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 310.
Marginal note:Obligation — answer truthfully
16. (1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
Marginal note:Obligation — appear for examination
(1.1) A person who makes an application must, on request of an officer, appear for an examination.
Marginal note:Obligation — relevant evidence
(2) In the case of a foreign national,
(a) the relevant evidence referred to in subsection (1) includes photographic and fingerprint evidence; and
(b) subject to the regulations, the foreign national must submit to a medical examination.
Marginal note:Obligation — interview
(2.1) A foreign national who makes an application must, on request of an officer, appear for an interview for the purpose of an investigation conducted by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service under section 15 of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act for the purpose of providing advice or information to the Minister under section 14 of that Act and must answer truthfully all questions put to them during the interview.
Marginal note:Evidence relating to identity
(3) An officer may require or obtain from a permanent resident or a foreign national who is arrested, detained or subject to a removal order, any evidence — photographic, fingerprint or otherwise — that may be used to establish their identity or compliance with this Act.
- 2001, c. 27, s. 16;
- 2010, c. 8, s. 2;
- 2013, c. 16, s. 5.
- Date modified: