Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Cooperative not private corporation
136 (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, a cooperative corporation that would, but for this section, be a private corporation is deemed not to be a private corporation except for the purposes of section 15.1, paragraphs 87(2)(vv) and (ww) (including, for greater certainty, in applying those paragraphs as provided under paragraph 88(1)(e.2)), the definitions excessive eligible dividend designation, general rate income pool and low rate income pool in subsection 89(1), subsections 89(4) to (6) and (8) to (10), sections 123.4, 125, 125.1, 127 and 127.1, the definition mark-to-market property in subsection 142.2(1), sections 152 and 157, subsection 185.2(3), the definition small business corporation in subsection 248(1) (as it applies for the purposes of paragraph 39(1)(c)) and subsection 249(3.1).
Definition of cooperative corporation
(2) In this section, cooperative corporation means a corporation that was incorporated or continued by or under the provisions of a law, of Canada or of a province, that provide for the establishment of the corporation as a cooperative corporation or that provide for the establishment of cooperative corporations, for the purpose of marketing (including processing incident to or connected to the marketing) natural products belonging to or acquired from its members or customers, of purchasing supplies, equipment or household necessaries for or to be sold to its members or customers or of performing services for its members or customers, if
(a) the statute by or under which it was incorporated, its charter, articles of association or by-laws or its contracts with its members or its members and customers held out the prospect that payments would be made to them in proportion to patronage;
(b) none of its members (except other cooperative corporations) have more than one vote in the conduct of the affairs of the corporation;
(c) at least 90% of its members are individuals, other cooperative corporations, or corporations or partnerships that carry on the business of farming; and
(d) at least 90% of its shares, if any, are held by members described in paragraph (c) or by trusts governed by registered retirement savings plans, registered retirement income funds, TFSAs or registered education savings plans, the annuitants, holders or subscribers under which are members described in that paragraph.
- NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text;
- see relevant amending Acts. R.S., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), s. 136;
- 1994, c. 7, Sch. II, s. 112;
- 1998, c. 19, s. 161;
- 2006, c. 4, s. 81;
- 2013, c. 34, s. 283, c. 40, s. 61.
- Date modified: