Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Investments in non-resident commercial trusts
(a) the trust is at that time an exempt foreign trust (other than a trust described in any of paragraphs (a) to (g) of the definition exempt foreign trust in subsection 94(1));
(i) the total fair market value at that time of all fixed interests of a particular class in the trust held by the beneficiary, persons or partnerships not dealing at arm’s length with the beneficiary, or persons or partnerships that acquired their interests in the trust in exchange for consideration given to the trust by the beneficiary, is at least 10% of the total fair market value at that time of all fixed interests of the particular class, or
(ii) the beneficiary or the particular person has at or before that time contributed restricted property to the trust; and
(c) the beneficiary is at that time a
Marginal note:Deemed corporation
(2) If this subsection applies at any time to a beneficiary under, or a particular person in respect of, a trust, then for the purposes of applying this section, subsections 91(1) to (4), paragraph 94.1(1)(a) and sections 95 and 233.4 to the beneficiary under, and, if applicable, to the particular person in respect of, the trust
(a) the trust is deemed to be at that time a non-resident corporation
(b) each beneficiary under the trust is deemed to hold at that time the number of shares of each separate class described in subparagraph (a)(ii) equal to the proportion of 100 that the fair market value at that time of that beneficiary’s fixed interests in the corresponding particular class of fixed interests in the trust is of the fair market value at that time of all fixed interests in the particular class.
Marginal note:Relief from double tax
(3) For the purposes of applying subsection 91(1) to the beneficiary, and, if applicable, to the particular person, to whom subsection (2) applies
(a) there may be deducted in computing the foreign accrual property income of the trust referred to in paragraph (2)(a) (in this subsection referred to as the “entity”) for a particular taxation year of the entity the amount that would, in the absence of this paragraph, be the portion of the entity’s foreign accrual property income that would reasonably be considered to have been if this Part were applicable to all beneficiaries of the entity, included under subsection 104(13) in computing the income of any beneficiary of the entity for the taxation year in which the particular taxation year of the entity ends; and
(b) subsection 5904(2) of the Income Tax Regulations is to be read without reference to its paragraph (a) in determining the distribution entitlement of all the shares of a class of the capital stock of the entity at the end of the particular taxation year.
Marginal note:Request for information
(4) If the Minister sends a written request, served personally or by registered mail, to a taxpayer requesting additional information for the purpose of enabling the Minister to determine the fair market value of interests in a trust for the purpose of determining the application of subsections (1) to (3) for a taxation year to the taxpayer, and information that may reasonably be considered to be sufficient to make the determination is not received by the Minister within 120 days (or within any longer period that is acceptable to the Minister) after the Minister sends the request, then in applying this section for the taxation year to the taxpayer the fair market value of those interests is deemed to be the fair market value as reasonably determined by the Minister based on the information received by the Minister within 120 days (or within any longer period that is acceptable to the Minister) after the Minister sends the request and any other information the Minister considers reasonable.
- NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text;
- see relevant amending Acts. 2013, c. 34, s. 9;
- 2014, c. 39, s. 24.
- Date modified: