Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Fiscal period of terminated partnership
99 (1) Subject to subsection (2), if, at any particular time in a fiscal period of a partnership, the partnership would, if this Act were read without reference to subsection 98(1), have ceased to exist, the fiscal period is deemed to have ended immediately before the time that is immediately before that particular time.
Marginal note:Fiscal period of terminated partnership for individual member
(2) Where an individual was a member of a partnership that, at any time in a fiscal period of a partnership, has or would have, but for subsection 98(1), ceased to exist, for the purposes of computing the individual’s income for a taxation year the partnership’s fiscal period may, if the individual so elects and subsection 249.1(4) does not apply in respect of the partnership, be deemed to have ended immediately before the time when the fiscal period of the partnership would have ended if the partnership had not so ceased to exist.
Marginal note:Validity of election
(3) An election under subsection 99(2) is not valid unless the individual was resident in Canada at the time when the fiscal period of the partnership would, if the election were valid, be deemed to have ended.
(4) An election under subsection 99(2) is not valid if, for the individual’s taxation year in which a fiscal period of the partnership would not, if the election were valid, be deemed to have ended but in which it would otherwise have ended, the individual elects to have applicable the rules set out in the Income Tax Application Rules that apply when two or more fiscal periods of a partnership end in the same taxation year.
- NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text;
- see relevant amending Acts. R.S., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), s. 99;
- 1996, c. 21, s. 17.1;
- 2013, c. 34, s. 229.
- Date modified: