Assented to 2000-06-29
An Act to implement an agreement, conventions and protocols between Canada and Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Algeria, Bulgaria, Portugal, Uzbekistan, Jordan, Japan and Luxembourg for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
PART 1CANADA — KYRGYZSTAN INCOME TAX AGREEMENT
Marginal note:Citation of Part 1
2. This Part may be cited as the Canada — Kyrgyzstan Income Tax Agreement Act, 1999.
Definition of “Agreement”
3. In this Part, “Agreement” means the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic set out in Part 1 of Schedule 1, as amended by the protocol set out in Part 2 of that Schedule.
Marginal note:Agreement approved
4. The Agreement is approved and has the force of law in Canada during the period that the Agreement, by its terms, is in force.
Marginal note:Inconsistent laws — general rule
5. (1) Subject to subsection (2), in the event of any inconsistency between the provisions of this Part or the Agreement and the provisions of any other law, the provisions of this Part and the Agreement prevail to the extent of the inconsistency.
Marginal note:Inconsistent laws — exception
(2) In the event of any inconsistency between the provisions of the Agreement and the provisions of the Income Tax Conventions Interpretation Act, the provisions of that Act prevail to the extent of the inconsistency.
6. The Minister of National Revenue may make any regulations that are necessary for carrying out the Agreement or for giving effect to any of its provisions.
Marginal note:Publication of notice
Footnote *7. The Minister of Finance shall cause a notice of the day on which the Agreement enters into force and of the day on which it ceases to have effect to be published in the Canada Gazette within 60 days after its entry into force or termination.
Return to footnote *[Note: Agreement and Protocol in force December 4, 2000, see Canada Gazette Part I, Volume 135, page 222.]
PART 2CANADA — LEBANON INCOME TAX CONVENTION
Marginal note:Citation of Part 2
8. This Part may be cited as the Canada — Lebanon Income Tax Convention Act, 1999.
Definition of “Convention”
9. In this Part, “Convention” means the Convention between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Republic of Lebanon set out in Part 1 of Schedule 2, as amended by the protocol set out in Part 2 of that Schedule.
- Date modified: