Marginal note:Appeal to Federal Court
47. A decision of the Minister made in the exercise of the jurisdiction or authority conferred on him by section 42, 43 or 46 may, within two months from the date thereof, be appealed by any person affected thereby to the Federal Court, if the amount in controversy in the appeal exceeds five hundred dollars or if the Minister consents to an appeal.
- R.S., c. I-6, s. 47;
- R.S., c. 10(2nd Supp.), ss. 64, 65.
DISTRIBUTION OF PROPERTY ON INTESTACY
Marginal note:Surviving spouse’s share
48. (1) Where the net value of the estate of an intestate does not, in the opinion of the Minister, exceed seventy-five thousand dollars or such other amount as may be fixed by order of the Governor in Council, the estate shall go to the survivor.
(2) Where the net value of the estate of an intestate, in the opinion of the Minister, exceeds seventy-five thousand dollars, or such other amount as may be fixed by order of the Governor in Council, seventy-five thousand dollars, or such other amount as may be fixed by order of the Governor in Council, shall go to the survivor, and
(a) if the intestate left no issue, the remainder shall go to the survivor,
(b) if the intestate left one child, one-half of the remainder shall go to the survivor, and
(c) if the intestate left more than one child, one-third of the remainder shall go to the survivor,
and where a child has died leaving issue and that issue is alive at the date of the intestate’s death, the survivor shall take the same share of the estate as if the child had been living at that date.
Marginal note:Where children not provided for
(3) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2),
(a) where in any particular case the Minister is satisfied that any children of the deceased will not be adequately provided for, he may direct that all or any part of the estate that would otherwise go to the survivor shall go to the children; and
(b) the Minister may direct that the survivor shall have the right to occupy any lands in a reserve that were occupied by the deceased at the time of death.
Marginal note:Distribution to issue
(4) Where an intestate dies leaving issue, his estate shall be distributed, subject to the rights of the survivor, if any, per stirpes among such issue.
Marginal note:Distribution to parents
(5) Where an intestate dies leaving no survivor or issue, the estate shall go to the parents of the deceased in equal shares if both are living, but if either of them is dead the estate shall go to the surviving parent.
Marginal note:Distribution to brothers, sisters and their issue
(6) Where an intestate dies leaving no survivor or issue or father or mother, his estate shall be distributed among his brothers and sisters in equal shares, and where any brother or sister is dead the children of the deceased brother or sister shall take the share their parent would have taken if living, but where the only persons entitled are children of deceased brothers and sisters, they shall take per capita.
(7) Where an intestate dies leaving no survivor, issue, father, mother, brother or sister, and no children of any deceased brother or sister, his estate shall go to his next-of-kin.
Marginal note:Distribution among next-of-kin
(8) Where an estate goes to the next-of-kin, it shall be distributed equally among the next-of-kin of equal degree of consanguinity to the intestate and those who legally represent them, but in no case shall representation be admitted after brothers' and sisters' children, and any interest in land in a reserve shall vest in Her Majesty for the benefit of the band if the nearest of kin of the intestate is more remote than a brother or sister.
Marginal note:Degrees of kindred
(9) For the purposes of this section, degrees of kindred shall be computed by counting upward from the intestate to the nearest common ancestor and then downward to the relative, and the kindred of the half-blood shall inherit equally with those of the whole-blood in the same degree.
Marginal note:Descendants and relatives born after intestate’s death
(10) Descendants and relatives of an intestate begotten before his death but born thereafter shall inherit as if they had been born in the lifetime of the intestate and had survived him.
Marginal note:Estate not disposed of by will
(11) All such estate as is not disposed of by will shall be distributed as if the testator had died intestate and had left no other estate.
Marginal note:No community of property
(12) There is no community of real or personal property situated in a reserve.
(13) and (14) [Repealed, R.S., 1985, c. 32 (1st Supp.), s. 9]
Marginal note:Equal application to men and women
(15) This section applies in respect of an intestate woman as it applies in respect of an intestate man.
(16) [Repealed, R.S., 1985, c. 32 (1st Supp.), s. 9]
- R.S., 1985, c. I-5, s. 48;
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (1st Supp.), s. 9, c. 48 (4th Supp.), s. 2;
- 2000, c. 12, ss. 149, 151.
- Date modified: