Marginal note:Recovery of certain expenses
67. Where money is expended by Her Majesty for the purpose of raising or collecting Indian moneys, the Minister may authorize the recovery of the amount so expended from the moneys of the band.
- R.S., c. I-6, s. 67.
Marginal note:Maintenance of dependants
68. Where the Minister is satisfied that an Indian
(a) has deserted his spouse or common-law partner or family without sufficient cause,
(b) has conducted himself in such a manner as to justify the refusal of his spouse or common-law partner or family to live with him, or
(c) has been separated by imprisonment from his spouse or common-law partner and family,
the Minister may order that payments of any annuity or interest money to which that Indian is entitled shall be applied to the support of the spouse or common-law partner or family or both the spouse or common-law partner and family of that Indian.
- R.S., 1985, c. I-5, s. 68;
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (1st Supp.), s. 13;
- 2000, c. 12, s. 152.
Marginal note:Management of revenue moneys by band
69. (1) The Governor in Council may by order permit a band to control, manage and expend in whole or in part its revenue moneys and may amend or revoke any such order.
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations to give effect to subsection (1) and may declare therein the extent to which this Act and the Financial Administration Act shall not apply to a band to which an order made under subsection (1) applies.
- R.S., c. I-6, s. 69.
LOANS TO INDIANS
Marginal note:Loans to Indians
70. (1) The Minister of Finance may authorize advances to the Minister out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund of such sums of money as the Minister may require to enable him
(a) to make loans to bands, groups of Indians or individual Indians for the purchase of farm implements, machinery, livestock, motor vehicles, fishing equipment, seed grain, fencing materials, materials to be used in native handicrafts, any other equipment, and gasoline and other petroleum products, or for the making of repairs or the payment of wages, or for the clearing and breaking of land within reserves;
(b) to expend or to lend money for the carrying out of cooperative projects on behalf of Indians; or
(c) to provide for any other matter prescribed by the Governor in Council.
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations to give effect to subsection (1).
(3) Expenditures that are made under subsection (1) shall be accounted for in the same manner as public moneys.
(4) The Minister shall pay to the Receiver General all moneys that he receives from bands, groups of Indians or individual Indians by way of repayments of loans made under subsection (1).
(5) The total amount of outstanding advances to the Minister under this section shall not at any one time exceed six million and fifty thousand dollars.
Marginal note:Report to Parliament
(6) The Minister shall within fifteen days after the termination of each fiscal year or, if Parliament is not then in session, within fifteen days after the commencement of the next ensuing session, lay before Parliament a report setting out the total number and amount of loans made under subsection (1) during that year.
- R.S., c. I-6, s. 70.
- Date modified: