Marginal note:How lands surrendered or designated
(a) it is made to Her Majesty;
(b) it is assented to by a majority of the electors of the band
(c) it is accepted by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Minister may call meeting or referendum
(2) Where a majority of the electors of a band did not vote at a meeting or referendum called pursuant to subsection (1), the Minister may, if the proposed absolute surrender or designation was assented to by a majority of the electors who did vote, call another meeting by giving thirty days notice thereof or another referendum as provided in the regulations.
Marginal note:Assent of band
(3) Where a meeting is called pursuant to subsection (2) and the proposed absolute surrender or designation is assented to at the meeting or referendum by a majority of the electors voting, the surrender or designation shall be deemed, for the purposes of this section, to have been assented to by a majority of the electors of the band.
Marginal note:Secret ballot
(4) The Minister may, at the request of the council of the band or whenever he considers it advisable, order that a vote at any meeting under this section shall be by secret ballot.
Marginal note:Officials required
(5) Every meeting under this section shall be held in the presence of the superintendent or some other officer of the Department designated by the Minister.
- R.S., 1985, c. I-5, s. 39;
- R.S., 1985, c. 17 (4th Supp.), s. 3.
- Date modified: