James Bay and Northern Quebec Native Claims Settlement Act
S.C. 1976-77, c. 32
Assented to 1977-07-14
An Act to approve, give effect to and declare valid certain agreements between the Grand Council of the Crees (of Quebec), the Northern Quebec Inuit Association, the Government of Quebec, la Société d’énergie de la Baie James, la Société de développement de la Baie James, la Commission hydro-électrique de Québec and the Government of Canada and certain other related agreements to which the Government of Canada is a party
WHEREAS the Government of Canada and the Government of Quebec have entered into an Agreement with the Crees and the Inuit inhabiting the Territory within the purview of the 1898 acts respecting the Northwestern, Northern and Northeastern Boundaries of the Province of Quebec and 1912 Quebec Boundaries extension acts, and with the Inuit of Port Burwell;
AND WHEREAS the Government of Canada and the Government of Quebec have assumed certain obligations under the Agreement in favour of the said Crees and Inuit;
AND WHEREAS the Agreement provides, inter alia, for the grant to or the setting aside for Crees and Inuit of certain lands in the Territory, the right of the Crees and Inuit to hunt, fish and trap in accordance with the regime established therein, the establishment in the Territory of regional and local governments to ensure the full and active participation of the Crees and Inuit in the administration of the Territory, measures to safeguard and protect their culture and to ensure their involvement in the promotion and development of their culture, the establishment of laws, regulations and procedures to manage and protect the environment in the Territory, remedial and other measures respecting hydro-electric development in the Territory, the creation and continuance of institutions and programs to promote the economic and social development of the Crees and Inuit and to encourage their full participation in society, an income support program for Cree and Inuit hunters, fishermen and trappers and the payment to the Crees and Inuit of certain monetary compensation;
AND WHEREAS the Agreement further provides in consideration of the rights and benefits set forth therein for the surrender by the said Crees, the Inuit of Quebec and the Inuit of Port Burwell of all their native claims, rights, titles and interests, whatever they may be, in and to the land in the Territory and in Quebec;
AND WHEREAS Parliament and the Government of Canada recognize and affirm a special responsibility for the said Crees and Inuit;
AND WHEREAS it is expedient that Parliament approve, give effect to and declare valid the Agreement;
NOW, THEREFORE, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the James Bay and Northern Quebec Native Claims Settlement Act.
2. In this Act,
« Convention »
“Agreement” means the agreement between the Grand Council of the Crees (of Quebec), the Northern Quebec Inuit Association, the Government of Quebec, la Société d’énergie de la Baie James, la Société de développement de la Baie James, la Commission hydro-électrique de Québec and the Government of Canada dated November 11, 1975, as amended by the agreement between the same parties dated December 12, 1975, tabled in the House of Commons by the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development on July 13, 1976 and recorded as document number 301-5/180C;
« Territoire »
“Territory” has the meaning assigned to that word by subsection 1.16 of the Agreement, namely, the entire area of land contemplated by the 1912 Quebec boundaries extension acts (an Act respecting the extension of the Province of Quebec by the annexation of Ungava, Que. 2 Geo. V, c. 7 and the Quebec Boundaries Extension Act, 1912, Can. 2 Geo. V, c. 45) and by the 1898 acts (an Act respecting the delimitation of the Northwestern, Northern and Northeastern boundaries of the Province of Quebec, Que. 61 Vict. c. 6 and an Act respecting the Northwestern, Northern and Northeastern boundaries of the Province of Quebec, Can. 61 Vict. c. 3).
Marginal note:Agreement approved
3. (1) The Agreement is hereby approved, given effect and declared valid.
Marginal note:Conferral of rights and benefits
(2) Upon the extinguishment of the native claims, rights, title and interests referred to in subsection (3), the beneficiaries under the Agreement shall have the rights, privileges and benefits set out in the Agreement.
Marginal note:Extinguishment of claims
(3) All native claims, rights, title and interests, whatever they may be, in and to the Territory, of all Indians and all Inuit, wherever they may be, are hereby extinguished, but nothing in this Act prejudices the rights of such persons as Canadian citizens and they shall continue to be entitled to all of the rights and benefits of all other citizens as well as to those resulting from the Indian Act, where applicable, and from other legislation applicable to them from time to time.
Marginal note:Exemption from taxation
(4) The total amount mentioned in subsection 25.3 of the Agreement as monetary compensation and all the other sums mentioned in that subsection are exempt from taxation in the manner and to the extent set out in that subsection.
(5) The Governor in Council may make such regulations as are necessary for the purpose of carrying out the Agreement or for giving effect to any of the provisions thereof.
(6) Any sum of money payable by the Government of Canada under section 25 of the Agreement shall, in the event of default in making payment, bear interest from the date of such default at the legal rate of interest.
- Date modified: