Commissioner for Federal Judicial Affairs
Marginal note:Commissioner for Federal Judicial Affairs
73. There shall be an officer, called the Commissioner for Federal Judicial Affairs, who shall have the rank and status of a deputy head of a department and who shall be appointed by the Governor in Council after consultation by the Minister with the Council or such committee thereof as is named for the purpose by the Council.
- 1976-77, c. 25, s. 17.
Marginal note:Duties and functions of Commissioner
74. (1) It shall be the duty and function of the Commissioner, under the Minister, to
(a) act as the deputy of the Minister in performing all such duties and functions in relation to the administration of Part I as fall, by law, within the responsibility of the Minister;
(b) prepare budgetary submissions for the requirements of the Council;
(c) be responsible for any other administrative arrangements that are necessary to ensure that all reasonable requirements, including those for premises, equipment and other supplies and services and for officers, clerks and employees of the Council for the carrying out of its operations, are provided for in accordance with law; and
(d) do such other things as the Minister may require in connection with any matter or matters falling, by law, within the Minister’s responsibilities for the proper functioning of the judicial system in Canada.
Marginal note:Interpretation of subsection (1)
(2) It is hereby declared for greater certainty that such of the duties and functions of the Minister as are, by paragraphs (1)(a) to (d), subject to be performed by the Commissioner do not form part of the duties and functions assigned to the Minister by the Department of Justice Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. J-1, s. 74;
- 2002, c. 8, s. 108.
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Canada
Marginal note:Duties and functions
75. (1) The duties and functions described in paragraphs 74(1)(a) to (c) shall, in relation to the Supreme Court of Canada and the judges thereof, be carried out by the Registrar of the Court, who may, for that purpose, utilize the services of other persons on the staff of the Court.
Marginal note:Registrar deemed deputy head
(2) The Registrar of the Supreme Court of Canada shall, for the purposes of the Public Service Employment Act and other Acts of Parliament and for purposes relating to the duties and functions of the Registrar under this section, be deemed to be the deputy head of the portion of the federal public administration appointed under subsection 12(2) of the Supreme Court Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. J-1, s. 75;
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E).
- Date modified: