Marginal note:Appointment of arbitrator
224 (1) The Minister may, on application under subsection 223(1), appoint an arbitrator to assist the joint planning committee in the development of an adjustment program and to resolve any matters in dispute respecting the adjustment program.
Marginal note:The Minister shall notify and send a statement of matters in dispute
(2) Where an arbitrator is appointed under subsection (1), the Minister shall forthwith
(a) notify, in writing, the joint planning committee of the decision to appoint an arbitrator and of the name of the arbitrator; and
(b) if the application under subsection 223(1) sets out matters in dispute respecting an adjustment program, send to the arbitrator and to the joint planning committee a statement setting out any matters in dispute respecting the adjustment program that the arbitrator is to resolve.
Marginal note:Restriction on matters included in statement
(3) A statement referred to in subsection (2) shall be restricted to such of those matters set out in the application under subsection 223(1) as the Minister deems appropriate and as are normally the subject-matter of collective agreement in relation to termination of employment.
Marginal note:Duty of arbitrator
(4) An arbitrator shall assist the joint planning committee in the development of an adjustment program and the arbitrator, if sent a statement pursuant to subsection (2), shall, within four weeks after receiving the statement or such longer period as the Minister may specify,
(5) An arbitrator may not
Marginal note:Powers of arbitrator
(6) In relation to any proceeding before an arbitrator under this section, the arbitrator may
(a) determine the procedure to be followed;
(b) administer oaths and solemn affirmations;
(c) receive and accept such evidence and information on oath, affidavit or otherwise as the arbitrator sees fit, whether or not the evidence is admissible in a court of law;
(d) make such examination of documents containing personal information relating to any redundant employee and such inquiries relating to any redundant employee as the arbitrator deems necessary;
(e) require an employer to post and keep posted in appropriate places any notice that the arbitrator considers necessary to bring to the attention of any redundant employees any matter relating to the proceeding; and
(f) authorize any person to do anything described in paragraph (b) or (d) that the arbitrator may do and to report to the arbitrator thereon.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 89, s. 32.
- Date modified: