Marginal note:Approval of plans, procedures
137.2 (1) The Commission or persons designated by the Commission for the purposes of this subsection may approve in writing, with or without modification, plans or procedures submitted in accordance with paragraph 125.3(1)(d).
Marginal note:Approval of methods, machinery, equipment
(2) On the application of an employer, the Commission or persons designated by the Commission for the purposes of this subsection may, if, in the opinion of the Commission or those persons, protection of the health and safety of employees would not thereby be diminished,
(a) approve in writing the use by the employer in coal mines of mining methods, machinery or equipment in respect of which no prescribed safety standards are applicable; or
(b) approve in writing, notwithstanding anything in this Part, the use by the employer in coal mines, for a specified time and subject to specified conditions, of any mining method, machinery or equipment that does not meet prescribed safety standards applicable in respect of it.
Marginal note:Exemptions and substitutions
(3) On the application of an employer, the Commission may, if in its opinion protection of the health and safety of employees would not thereby be diminished, by order,
(a) exempt the employer from compliance with any provision of the regulations in the operation of coal mines controlled by the employer, subject to any conditions contained in the order; or
(b) substitute for any provision of the regulations, so far as it applies to coal mines controlled by the employer, another provision having substantially the same purpose and effect.
Marginal note:Recommendations for amendments
(4) The Commission may make recommendations to the Minister for amending or revoking any provision of the regulations applicable to coal mines or for adding any provision thereto.
- R.S., 1985, c. 26 (4th Supp.), s. 3;
- 2000, c. 20, s. 12.
Marginal note:Special committees
138. (1) The Minister may appoint committees of persons to assist or advise the Minister on any matter that the Minister considers advisable concerning occupational health and safety related to employment to which this Part applies.
Marginal note:Remuneration and expenses
(1.1) At the discretion of the Minister, persons appointed to those committees may be paid the remuneration that may be fixed by the Minister and, in accordance with any applicable Treasury Board directives, any reasonable travel and living expenses that are incurred by them while performing their functions away from their ordinary place of residence.
(2) The Minister may cause an inquiry to be made into and concerning occupational health and safety in any employment to which this Part applies and may appoint one or more persons to hold the inquiry.
Marginal note:Powers on an inquiry
(3) A person appointed pursuant to subsection (2) has all the powers of a person appointed as a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act.
(4) The Minister may undertake research into the cause of and the means of preventing employment injury and occupational illness and may, where the Minister deems it appropriate, undertake such research in cooperation with any department or agency of the Government of Canada or with any or all provinces or with any organization undertaking similar research.
Marginal note:Publication of information
(5) The Minister may publish the results of any research undertaken under subsection (4) and compile, prepare and disseminate data or information bearing on health or safety of employees obtained from that research or otherwise.
Marginal note:Occupational safety and health programs
(6) The Minister may undertake programs to reduce or prevent employment injury and occupational illness and may, where the Minister deems it appropriate, undertake those programs in cooperation with any department or agency of the Government of Canada or with any or all provinces or any organization undertaking similar programs.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 138;
- R.S., 1985, c. 9 (1st Supp.), s. 4;
- 2000, c. 20, s. 13.
- Date modified: