Appeals of Decisions and Directions
145.1 (1) The Minister may designate as an appeals officer for the purposes of this Part any person who is qualified to perform the duties of such an officer.
(2) For the purposes of sections 146 to 146.5, an appeals officer has all of the powers, duties and functions of the Minister under this Part, except for those referred to in subsection (1), section 130, subsections 135(3), 137.1(1) to (2.1), and (7) to (9), 137.2(4), 138(1) to (2) and (4) to (6), 140(1), (2) and (4), 144(1) and 149(1), sections 152 and 155 and subsections 156.1(1), 157(3) and 159(2).
Marginal note:Limitation of liability
(3) An appeals officer is not personally liable for anything done or omitted to be done by the officer in good faith under the authority or purported authority of this Part.
- 2000, c. 20, s. 14;
- 2013, c. 40, s. 196.
Marginal note:Appeal of direction
146. (1) An employer, employee or trade union that feels aggrieved by a direction issued by the Minister under this Part may appeal the direction in writing to an appeals officer within 30 days after the date of the direction being issued or confirmed in writing.
Marginal note:Direction not stayed
(2) Unless otherwise ordered by an appeals officer on application by the employer, employee or trade union, an appeal of a direction does not operate as a stay of the direction.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 146;
- R.S., 1985, c. 9 (1st Supp.), s. 4;
- 2000, c. 20, s. 14;
- 2013, c. 40, s. 197.
146.1 (1) If an appeal is brought under subsection 129(7) or section 146, the appeals officer shall, in a summary way and without delay, inquire into the circumstances of the decision or direction, as the case may be, and the reasons for it and may
(a) vary, rescind or confirm the decision or direction; and
(b) issue any direction that the appeals officer considers appropriate under subsection 145(2) or (2.1).
Marginal note:Decision and reasons
(2) The appeals officer shall provide a written decision, with reasons, and a copy of any direction to the employer, employee or trade union concerned, and the employer shall, without delay, give a copy of it to the work place committee or health and safety representative.
Marginal note:Posting of notice
(3) If the appeals officer issues a direction under paragraph (1)(b), the employer shall, without delay, affix or cause to be affixed to or near the machine, thing or place in respect of which the direction is issued a notice of the direction, in the form and containing the information that the appeals officer may specify, and no person may remove the notice unless authorized to do so by the appeals officer.
Marginal note:Cessation of use
(4) If the appeals officer directs, under paragraph (1)(b), that a machine, thing or place not be used or an activity not be performed until the direction is complied with, no person may use the machine, thing or place or perform the activity until the direction is complied with, but nothing in this subsection prevents the doing of anything necessary for the proper compliance with the direction.
- 2000, c. 20, s. 14.
- Date modified: