An Act respecting Laurier House
WHEREAS, pursuant to the Will of the late the Right Honourable William Lyon Mackenzie King, P.C., O.M., there has been vested in His Majesty in right of Canada certain property in the City of Ottawa known as Laurier House and the contents thereof;
AND WHEREAS the late Mr. King, by his Will, gave the sum of two hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars to the Government of Canada to be used for certain specified purposes;
AND WHEREAS it is advisable to make provision for the administration of that property and money in accordance with the terms of the Will;
NOW, THEREFORE, His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
- 1951, c. 19, s. 1.
Marginal note:Agency to control Laurier House
2. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Parks Canada Agency established under the Parks Canada Agency Act (in this Act referred to as the “Agency”) has the care, custody and control of Laurier House (described in the First Schedule) and its contents and shall administer the House and its contents in accordance with the desires and purposes expressed in the late Mr. King’s Will (the relevant portion of which is set out in the Second Schedule).
Marginal note:Heating and repair
(2) The Minister of Public Works and Government Services shall maintain, heat and keep in repair the buildings on the Laurier House property and the Federal District Commission shall maintain the grounds thereof.
(3) [Repealed, 1998, c. 31, s. 52]
- R.S.C., 1952, c. 163, s. 2;
- 1996, c. 16, s. 60;
- 1998, c. 31, s. 52.
3. (1) The sum of two hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars given by the Will to the Government of Canada shall be deposited to the credit of the Receiver General of Canada and shall form part of the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
Marginal note:Trust Account
(2) There shall be set up in the Consolidated Revenue Fund an account to be known as the Mackenzie King Trust Account to which there shall be credited the sum of two hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars.
(3) Interest on the sum of two hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars shall be credited to the Mackenzie King Trust Account at the end of each fiscal year
(a) in the case of the fiscal year during which the said sum was deposited to the credit of the Receiver General of Canada, for the period in the year after the day on which the deposit was made, and
(b) in the case of each subsequent fiscal year, for the whole year,
computed at a rate that, in the opinion of the Minister of Finance, is equal to the average rate at which interest is payable on long term Government of Canada bonds for that year.
(4) Subject to the approval of the Governor in Council, the Agency may, at any time, expend out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund, for the purpose of carrying out the desires and purposes expressed in the Will, an amount not exceeding the aggregate of the amounts theretofore credited to the Mackenzie King Trust Account as interest less the aggregate of all amounts theretofore expended under this subsection, and any amount so expended shall be debited to the Account.
- R.S.C., 1952, c. 163, s. 3;
- 1998, c. 31, s. 54.
- Date modified: