Establishment of Review Board
Marginal note:Review Board established
112. (1) There is hereby established a board to be known as the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board consisting of not less than seven members including a chairperson.
Marginal note:Nominations by first nations and the Tlicho Government
(2) One half of the members of the Review Board other than the chairperson shall be persons appointed on the nomination of first nations and the Tlicho Government, including at least one nominated by the Gwich’in First Nation, one nominated by the Sahtu First Nation and one nominated by the Tlicho Government.
Marginal note:Government members
(3) Of the members of the Review Board other than the chairperson and those appointed in accordance with subsection (2), at most one half shall be nominated by the territorial Minister.
(4) A quorum of the Review Board consists of five members, including two of the members appointed in accordance with subsection (2) and two of the members not so appointed other than the chairperson.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 112;
- 2005, c. 1, s. 66.
Marginal note:Main office
113. The main office of the Review Board shall be at Yellowknife or at such other place in the Mackenzie Valley as is designated by the Governor in Council.
114. The purpose of this Part is to establish a process comprising a preliminary screening, an environmental assessment and an environmental impact review in relation to proposals for developments, and
(a) to establish the Review Board as the main instrument in the Mackenzie Valley for the environmental assessment and environmental impact review of developments;
(b) to ensure that the impact on the environment of proposed developments receives careful consideration before actions are taken in connection with them; and
(c) to ensure that the concerns of aboriginal people and the general public are taken into account in that process.
Marginal note:Guiding principles
115. The process established by this Part shall be carried out in a timely and expeditious manner and shall have regard to
(a) the protection of the environment from the significant adverse impacts of proposed developments;
(b) the protection of the social, cultural and economic well-being of residents and communities in the Mackenzie Valley; and
(c) the importance of conservation to the well-being and way of life of the aboriginal peoples of Canada to whom section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 applies and who use an area of the Mackenzie Valley.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 115;
- 2005, c. 1, s. 67.
- Date modified: