Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act
Marginal note:Environmental assessment
141. (1) In relation to a development that is proposed to be carried out partly in the Mackenzie Valley and partly in a region of the Northwest Territories, Yukon or Nunavut adjacent to the Mackenzie Valley, or partly in a province, as the case may be, the Review Board shall to the extent possible coordinate its environmental assessment functions with the functions of any authority responsible for the examination of environmental effects of the development in that region or province.
Marginal note:Agreement — region or province
(2) Where an environmental impact review of a proposal for such a development is ordered in respect of the Mackenzie Valley, the Review Board may, with the approval of the federal Minister,
(a) enter into an agreement with the Minister of the Environment in accordance with sections 40 and 41 of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act to provide for an examination by a review panel, in any case where that Act applies in respect of the development in the region or province referred to in subsection (1); and
(b) in any other case, enter into an agreement with an authority responsible for the examination of environmental effects of such developments in that region or province to provide for the coordination of their respective examinations of the environmental impact of the development or to provide for the examination of that impact by a joint panel established for that purpose.
Marginal note:Aboriginal representation
(3) Where a review panel referred to in paragraph (2)(a) is established in relation to a development to be carried out partly in a region of the Northwest Territories, Yukon or Nunavut, at least one quarter of its members, excluding the chairperson, must be appointed on the nomination of first nations and other aboriginal groups affected by the proposed development.
Marginal note:Report to ministers and agencies
(4) A review panel or joint panel established by an agreement referred to in subsection (2) shall make a report of its examination to
(a) the federal Minister, who shall distribute it to every responsible minister;
(b) any designated regulatory agency from which a licence, permit or other authorization is required for the carrying out of the development; and
(c) in the case of a joint panel referred to in paragraph (2)(b), the minister of the federal, provincial or territorial government having jurisdiction in relation to examinations conducted by the authority referred to in that paragraph.
Marginal note:Powers of ministers and agencies
(5) An examination by a review panel or joint panel referred to in subsection (2) stands in lieu of an environmental impact review of the proposal referred to in that subsection and sections 135 to 137 apply, with such modifications as may be required, in respect of the examination.
- 1998, c. 15, s. 48, c. 25, s. 141;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 206(E).
- Date modified: