Marginal note:Arrest warrant
23 (1) The judge who made the order under subsection 18(1) or section 22.2 or another judge of the same court may issue a warrant for the arrest of the person named in the order where the judge is satisfied, on an information in writing and under oath, that
(a) the person did not attend or remain in attendance as required by the order or is about to abscond;
(b) the order was personally served on the person; and
(c) in the case of an order made under subsection 18(1), the person is likely to give material evidence and, in the case of an order under section 22.2, the state or entity believes that the testimony of the person would be relevant to the prosecution of the offence.
Marginal note:Warrant effective throughout Canada
(2) A warrant issued under subsection (1) may be executed anywhere in Canada by any peace officer.
(3) A peace officer who arrests a person in execution of a warrant issued under subsection (1) shall, without delay, bring the person or cause the person to be brought before the judge who issued the warrant or another judge of the same court who may, to ensure compliance with the order made under subsection 18(1) or section 22.2, order that the person be detained in custody or released on recognizance, with or without sureties.
Marginal note:Copy of information
(4) A person who is arrested in execution of a warrant issued under subsection (1) is entitled to receive, on request, a copy of the information on which the warrant was issued.
- R.S., 1985, c. 30 (4th Supp.), s. 23;
- 1999, c. 18, s. 114.
Examination of Place or Site
Marginal note:Approval of request for examination of place or site
23.1 (1) When the Minister approves a request of a state or entity to examine a place or site in Canada regarding an offence, including by means of the exhumation and examination of a grave, the Minister shall provide a competent authority with any documents or information necessary to apply for an order.
Marginal note:Application for order
(2) The competent authority that is provided with the documents or information shall apply ex parte for an order for the examination of a place or site to a judge of the province in which the place or site is located.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions of order
(3) An order may include any terms or conditions that the judge considers desirable, including those relating to the time and manner of its execution, and a requirement for notice.
- 2000, c. 24, s. 69.
Transfer of Detained Persons
Marginal note:Approval of transfer request
24 (1) When the Minister approves a request of a state or entity to have a detained person who is serving a term of imprisonment in Canada transferred to the state or entity, the Minister shall provide a competent authority with any documents or information necessary to apply for a transfer order.
Marginal note:Application for transfer order
(2) The competent authority who is provided with the documents or information shall apply for a transfer order to a judge of the province in which the person is detained.
Marginal note:Contents of application
(3) An application made under subsection (2) must
(a) state the name of the detained person;
(b) state the place of confinement of the detained person;
(c) designate a person or class of persons into whose custody the detained person is sought to be delivered;
(d) state the place to which the detained person is sought to be transferred;
(e) state the reasons why the detained person is sought to be transferred; and
(f) specify a period of time at or before the expiration of which the detained person is to be returned.
- R.S., 1985, c. 30 (4th Supp.), s. 24;
- 1999, c. 18, s. 115.
- Date modified: