Meat Inspection Act
Marginal note:Contravention of paragraph 5(b) or 6(b)
21 (1) Every person who contravenes paragraph 5(b) or 6(b) by selling anything contrary thereto is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a fine not exceeding $250,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or to both.
Marginal note:Contravention of section 7, 8 or 10
(2) Every person who contravenes section 7 or 8 or who contravenes section 10 by selling any meat product contrary to subsection (1) or (2) thereof
Marginal note:Contravention of subsection 13(2) or regulations
(3) Every person who contravenes or fails to comply with subsection 13(2) or the regulations is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding $50,000 thousand dollars.
Marginal note:General offence
(4) Subject to subsections (1) to (3), every person who contravenes any provision of this Act is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to both.
Marginal note:Limitation period
(5) A prosecution for a summary conviction offence under this Act may be instituted at any time within two years after the time when the subject-matter of the prosecution becomes known to the Minister.
Marginal note:Minister’s certificate
(6) A document purporting to have been issued by the Minister, certifying the day on which the subject-matter of any prosecution became known to the Minister, is admissible in evidence without proof of the signature or official character of the person appearing to have signed the document and is evidence of the matters asserted in it.
- R.S., 1985, c. 25 (1st Supp.), s. 21;
- 1995, c. 40, s. 69;
- 1997, c. 6, s. 74.
- Date modified: