Marginal note:Permanent total disability
36. Where permanent total disability of a seaman results from an injury, the amount of the compensation shall be a weekly payment during the life of the seaman equal to seventy-five per cent of his average weekly earnings during the previous twelve months if he has been so long employed, but if not, then for the period during which he has been in the employment of his employer.
- R.S., c. M-11, s. 33.
Marginal note:Permanent partial disability
37. (1) Where permanent partial disability of a seaman results from an injury, the impairment of earning capacity of the seaman shall be estimated from the nature and degree of the injury, and the compensation shall be a weekly payment during the lifetime of the seaman in the same proportion to the weekly payment payable under section 36 as the impairment of earning capacity is to total earning capacity.
Marginal note:Difference in earnings before and after accident
(2) If the Minister considers it more equitable to do so, he or she may award compensation for permanent partial disability, having regard to the difference between the seaman’s average weekly earnings before the accident and the average amount that they are earning or are able to earn in a suitable employment or business after the accident, and the compensation may be a weekly payment of 75% of the difference, and regard shall be had to the seaman’s fitness to continue the employment in the course of which they were injured or to adapt themselves to some other suitable occupation.
Marginal note:Rating schedule
(3) The Minister may compile a rating schedule of percentages of impairment of earning capacity for specified injuries or mutilations that may be used as a guide in determining the compensation payable in permanent partial disability cases.
Marginal note:Fixed amount
(4) Despite subsections (1) and (2), if the impairment of the seaman’s earning capacity does not exceed 10% of their earning capacity, instead of a weekly payment payable under those subsections, the Minister may, unless he or she is of the opinion that it would not be to the seaman’s advantage to do so, fix an amount to be paid to the seaman as full compensation and pay the seaman the amount either in one sum or in periodic payments as the Minister may direct.
- R.S., 1985, c. M-6, s. 37;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 250.
Marginal note:Temporary total disability
38. Where temporary total disability of a seaman results from an injury, the compensation shall be the same as that prescribed by section 36, but is payable only so long as the disability lasts.
- R.S., c. M-11, s. 35.
Marginal note:Temporary partial disability
39. Where temporary partial disability of a seaman results from an injury, the compensation shall be the same as that prescribed by section 37, but is payable only so long as the disability lasts and subsection 37(4) applies.
- R.S., c. M-11, s. 36.
- Date modified: