Marginal note:Minister may examine test vehicle or component
22. (1) The Minister may request a company to make available, at such place as the Minister requests, a motor vehicle or any component thereof that
(a) was used in tests conducted to establish a registered fuel consumption number, or
(b) is representative of a motor vehicle or component that was used in tests conducted to establish a registered fuel consumption number,
and the company shall forthwith comply with the Minister’s request.
Marginal note:Minister may dismantle and examine motor vehicle or component
(2) Where a company makes available to the Minister a motor vehicle or a component thereof pursuant to subsection (1), the Minister may
(a) dismantle and examine the motor vehicle or the component; and
(b) conduct all necessary tests to verify the accuracy of tests conducted by the company to establish the fuel consumption number.
Marginal note:Minister to return motor vehicle or component
(3) A motor vehicle or component made available to the Minister under this section shall not be detained by the Minister after the expiration of thirty days after the completion of the examination and tests referred to in subsection (2) unless, before that time, proceedings have been instituted in respect of an offence under this Act, in which case the motor vehicle or component may be detained until the proceedings are finally concluded.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 22.
23. (1) The Minister may designate as an inspector for the purposes of this Act any person who, in his opinion, is qualified to be so designated.
Marginal note:Certificate to be produced
(2) The Minister shall furnish every inspector with a certificate of his designation as an inspector and on entering any place described in subsection 24(1) an inspector shall, if so required, produce the certificate to the person in charge of that place.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 23.
Marginal note:Powers of inspectors
24. (1) An inspector may at any reasonable time enter any place in which he believes on reasonable grounds that there is
(a) a motor vehicle of a class for which a fuel consumption standard has been prescribed and that is
(i) owned by, or
(ii) situated on the premises of
a company or a consignee of imported motor vehicles,
(b) a component of a motor vehicle of a class for which a fuel consumption standard has been prescribed, or
(c) any record described in section 21,
(d) examine any motor vehicle, any component of a motor vehicle or any records found in that place,
(e) open and examine any package found therein that he believes on reasonable grounds contains any component of a motor vehicle or any records, and
(f) require any person to produce for inspection any books, reports, test data, control records, shipping bills, bills of lading or other documents or papers that he believes on reasonable grounds contain any information relevant to the administration or enforcement of this Act, and make copies thereof or extracts therefrom.
Marginal note:Assistance to inspectors
(2) The owner or person in charge of a place entered by an inspector pursuant to subsection (1) and every person found therein shall give the inspector all reasonable assistance to enable the inspector to carry out his duties under this Act, and shall furnish the inspector with any information he may reasonably require with respect to the administration or enforcement of this Act.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 24.
- Date modified: