Marginal note:General duties
6. In exercising the powers and performing the duties and functions assigned to the Minister by section 5, the Minister shall
(a) have regard to the sustainable development of Canada’s natural resources and the integrated management thereof;
(b) coordinate, promote, recommend and implement policies with respect to the matters referred to in that section, and programs and practices established pursuant to those policies;
(c) assist in the development and promotion of Canadian scientific and technological capabilities;
(d) participate in the development and application of codes and standards for technical surveys and natural resources products and for the management and use of natural resources;
(e) seek to enhance the responsible development and use of Canada’s natural resources and the competitiveness of Canada’s natural resources products;
(f) participate in the enhancement and promotion of market access for Canada’s natural resources products and technical surveys industries, both domestically and internationally;
(g) promote the development and use of remote sensing technology;
(h) promote cooperation with the governments of the provinces and with non-governmental organizations in Canada, and participate in the promotion of cooperation with the governments of other countries and with international organizations; and
(i) gather, compile, analyse, coordinate and disseminate information respecting scientific, technological, economic, industrial, managerial, marketing and related activities and developments affecting Canada’s natural resources.
Marginal note:Report required by Governor in Council
7. (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations requiring the Minister to prepare a report respecting any matter related to the Minister’s powers, duties and functions.
Marginal note:Tabling of report
(2) The Minister shall cause a copy of any report required by the Governor in Council to be laid before each House of Parliament as soon as practicable after the report is prepared.
8. (1) Nothing in this Act shall be construed as affecting the status of an employee who, immediately before the coming into force of this Act, occupied a position in the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources or in the Department of Forestry, except that the employee shall, on the coming into force of this Act, occupy their position in the Department of Natural Resources under the authority of the Deputy Minister of Natural Resources.
Marginal note:Definition of “employee”
(2) In this section, “employee” has the same meaning as in subsection 2(1) of the Public Service Employment Act.
Marginal note:Transfer of appropriations
9. Any amount appropriated, for the fiscal year in which this Act comes into force, by an appropriation Act based on the Estimates for that year for defraying the charges and expenses of the public service of Canada within the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources or the Department of Forestry, and that, on the day on which this Act comes into force, is unexpended, is deemed, on that day, to be an amount appropriated for defraying the charges and expenses of the Department of Natural Resources.
- Date modified: