Assented to 1993-06-23
An Act respecting the Northumberland Strait Crossing
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the Northumberland Strait Crossing Act.
2. (1) In this Act,
« accord »
“agreement” means an agreement entered into pursuant to section 4;
« ouvrage de franchissement » ou « ouvrage »
“crossing” means a fixed structure that provides a means of crossing the Northumberland Strait and includes all facilities and appurtenances related to that fixed structure;
« ministre »
“Minister” means the Minister of Public Works and Government Services.
Marginal note:Calculation of Consumer Price Index
(2) For the purposes of this Act, the consumer price index for any period shall be determined in accordance with an agreement.
- 1993, c. 43, s. 2;
- 1994, c. 26, s. 47(F);
- 1996, c. 16, s. 60.
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
3. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Authority to enter into agreements
4. (1) The Minister may, on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Canada, enter into one or more agreements in respect of the crossing.
Marginal note:Contents of agreements
(2) The agreements entered into under this section may include
(a) provisions respecting the design, maintenance, financing, development, construction and operation of the crossing;
(b) provisions respecting the payment of the annual subsidy referred to in section 7;
(c) undertakings in relation to industrial and employment benefits;
(d) provisions respecting the tolls, fees or other charges that may be imposed in respect of the crossing; and
(e) such other terms and conditions as the Minister considers desirable.
Marginal note:Authority to carry out agreements
5. (1) The Minister may do such things as the Minister considers appropriate to carry out an agreement or to protect the interests or enforce the rights of Her Majesty under an agreement.
(2) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), the Minister may, with respect to an agreement,
(a) accept and hold on behalf of Her Majesty any security granted to Her Majesty under or pursuant to the agreement or any security granted in substitution therefor;
(b) release or realize on any security referred to in paragraph (a);
(c) acquire shares of a corporation in trust for Her Majesty; and
(d) acquire on behalf of Her Majesty the whole or any portion of any interest held in respect of the crossing by any party to the agreement and, for that purpose, enter into such agreements or arrangements as the Minister considers appropriate.
- Date modified: