Scope and Application
Marginal note:Other Acts
5. Nothing in this Part, the regulations or a licence authorizes a person to contravene any other Act of Parliament or a regulation or order made under any other Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Rights preserved
6. Nothing in this Part, the regulations or a licence constitutes a defence to a claim for loss or damage sustained by any person by reason of the construction or operation of any work forming part of an appurtenant undertaking.
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
7. This Part is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province, except that Her Majesty in right of Canada is not required to pay any fee prescribed by the regulations.
Marginal note:Waters vested in Her Majesty
8. (1) Subject to any rights granted by or under any other Act of Parliament in respect of waters in Nunavut, the property in and the right to the use of all waters in Nunavut are vested in Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Rights of designated Inuit organization
(2) Despite subsection (1), the designated Inuit organization has, in respect of waters in Nunavut, the rights that are provided in the Agreement, including the exclusive right to the use of water on, in, or flowing through Inuit-owned land and the right to have water flow through that land substantially unaffected in quality, quantity and flow.
Delegation and Agreements
Marginal note:Delegation to territorial minister
9. The Minister may, in writing, delegate to the territorial minister responsible for water resources any of the Minister’s functions under sections 14, 16, 17, 19 and 21, subsection 55(5), section 56, subsection 77(1) and section 84, either generally or as otherwise provided in the instrument of delegation, except that the delegation cannot abrogate or derogate from any rights of Inuit under the Agreement.
Marginal note:Agreements with provinces
10. The Minister and the territorial minister responsible for water resources shall, with the assistance of the Board, use their best efforts to negotiate an agreement, subject to any agreement entered into under section 5 or 11 of the Canada Water Act, with a provincial government providing for the management of any waters situated partially in Nunavut and partially in a province, or flowing between Nunavut and a province. The Minister shall not enter into an agreement without the approval of the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Use of waters
11. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall use, or permit the use of, waters in Nunavut except in accordance with the conditions of a licence.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of
(a) any unlicensed use of waters that is authorized by the regulations;
(b) the use of waters
(i) for a domestic purpose, or
(ii) for the purpose of extinguishing a fire or, on an emergency basis, controlling or preventing a flood; or
(c) the use of waters in a national park.
Marginal note:Duties in certain cases
(3) Where a person diverts waters for a purpose referred to in subparagraph (2)(b)(ii), the person shall, when the need for the diversion has ceased, discontinue the diversion and, in so far as possible, restore the waters to their original channel.
- Date modified: