Head Office and Meetings
Marginal note:Head office
26. The head office of the Board shall be at Gjoa Haven or at such other place in Nunavut as the Governor in Council may designate.
Marginal note:Business meetings
27. (1) The Board shall ordinarily hold its meetings in Nunavut.
Marginal note:Participation by telephone
(2) Subject to the rules and by-laws of the Board, any member may participate in a business meeting by means of telephone or other communications facilities that are likely to enable all persons participating in the meeting to hear each other, and a member so participating is deemed for all purposes of this Part to be present at that meeting.
Status and General Powers
28. (1) The Board is an institution of public government but is not an agent of Her Majesty.
Marginal note:Property and contracts
(2) The Board may, for the purposes of conducting its business,
(a) acquire property in its own name and dispose of the property; and
(b) enter into contracts in its own name.
Marginal note:Legal proceedings
(3) Actions, suits or other legal proceedings in respect of any right or obligation acquired or incurred by the Board may be brought or taken by or against the Board in its name in any court that would have jurisdiction if the Board were a corporation.
29. (1) The Board may establish panels of the Board and delegate any of its powers, duties and functions to them.
(2) Every panel shall consist of equal numbers of members appointed to the Board on the nomination of the designated Inuit organization or Makivik, as the case may be, and other members.
30. The Board may employ such officers and employees and engage the services of such agents, advisers and experts as are necessary for the proper conduct of its business, and may fix the terms and conditions of their employment or engagement and pay their remuneration.
Marginal note:Indemnification of Board members and employees
31. The members and employees of the Board shall be indemnified by the Board against all damages awarded against them, any settlement paid by them with the approval of the Minister and all expenses reasonably incurred by them, in respect of any claim arising out of their functions as members or employees, if those functions were carried out honestly and in good faith with a view to the best interests of the Board.
Marginal note:Annual budget
32. (1) The Board shall annually submit a budget for the following fiscal year to the Minister for consideration.
(2) The Board shall maintain books of account and records in relation to them in accordance with accounting principles recommended by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants or its successor.
Marginal note:Consolidated financial statements
(3) The Board shall, within such time after the end of each fiscal year as the Minister specifies, prepare consolidated financial statements in respect of that fiscal year in accordance with the accounting principles referred to in subsection (2), and shall include in the consolidated financial statements any information or statements that are required in support of them.
(4) The accounts, financial statements and financial transactions of the Board shall be audited annually by the auditor of the Board and, where the Minister requests, the Auditor General of Canada. The auditor and, where applicable, the Auditor General of Canada shall make a report of the audit to the Board and the Minister.
- Date modified: