Marginal note:Notice of proposed acquisition of lands
87. (1) When a company has determined the lands that may be required for the purposes of a section or part of a pipeline, the company shall serve a notice on all owners of the lands, in so far as they can be ascertained, which notice shall set out or be accompanied by
(a) a description of the lands of the owner that are required by the company for that section or part;
(b) details of the compensation offered by the company for the lands required;
(c) a detailed statement made by the company of the value of the lands required in respect of which compensation is offered;
(d) a description of the procedure for approval of the detailed route of the pipeline; and
(e) a description of the procedure available for negotiation and arbitration under this Part in the event that the owner of the lands and the company are unable to agree on any matter respecting the compensation payable.
Marginal note:Agreement void or null
(2) If a land acquisition agreement referred to in section 86 is entered into with an owner of lands before a notice is served on the owner under this section, that agreement is void or, in the province of Quebec, null.
Marginal note:Abandonment: company’s liability
(3) Where a company serves a notice on an owner of lands under subsection (1) and subsequently decides not to acquire all or part of the land described in the notice, it is liable to the owner for all damages suffered and reasonable costs incurred by the owner in consequence of the notice and the abandonment of the acquisition of the land and the owner may bring an action to recover the amount of the damages and costs in any court of competent jurisdiction in the province in which the land is situated.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-7, s. 87;
- 2004, c. 25, s. 158(E).
Marginal note:Request for negotiations
88. (1) Where a company and an owner of lands have not agreed on the amount of compensation payable under this Act for the acquisition of lands or for damages suffered as a result of the operations of the company or on any issue related to that compensation, the company or the owner may serve notice of negotiation on the other of them and on the Minister requesting that the matter be negotiated under subsection (3).
Marginal note:Appointment of negotiator
(2) Forthwith after a notice of negotiation is served on the Minister, the Minister shall appoint a negotiator and provide the negotiator with a copy of the notice of negotiation.
(3) A negotiator shall, on reasonable notice to the parties to the negotiation proceedings, meet with them and, without prejudice to any subsequent proceedings, proceed in a summary and informal manner to negotiate a settlement of the matter referred to in the notice of negotiation.
Marginal note:Inspection of lands
(4) A negotiator may enter on and make such inspection of the lands to which the negotiation proceedings relate as the negotiator deems necessary.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 80, s. 5.
- Date modified: