Marginal note:Voluntary pooling
30. (1) Where one or more working interest owners have leases or separately owned working interests within a spacing unit, the working interest owners and the royalty owners who own all of the interests in the spacing unit may pool their working interests and royalty interests in the spacing unit for the purpose of drilling for or producing, or both drilling for and producing, oil and gas if a copy of the pooling agreement and any amendment thereto has been filed with the Chief Conservation Officer.
Marginal note:Pooling agreement by Her Majesty
(2) The Minister may, on behalf of Her Majesty, enter into a pooling agreement on any terms and conditions that the Minister deems advisable and, despite anything in this Act, the Territorial Lands Act, the Federal Real Property and Federal Immovables Act, the Canada Petroleum Resources Act or any regulations made under those Acts, the pooling agreement is binding on Her Majesty.
- R.S., 1985, c. O-7, s. 30;
- R.S., 1985, c. 36 (2nd Supp.), s. 124;
- 1991, c. 50, s. 35;
- 2001, c. 4, s. 163.
Marginal note:Application for pooling order
31. (1) In the absence of a pooling agreement, a working interest owner in a spacing unit may apply for a pooling order directing the working interest owners and royalty owners within the spacing unit to pool their interests in the spacing unit for the purpose of drilling for and producing, or producing, oil or gas or both from the spacing unit.
Marginal note:Hearing by Committee
(2) An application under subsection (1) shall be made to the Minister who shall refer the application to the Committee for the purpose of holding a hearing to determine whether a pooling order should be made and at that hearing the Committee shall afford all interested parties an opportunity to be heard.
Marginal note:Matter to be supplied Committee on hearing
(3) Prior to a hearing held pursuant to subsection (2), the working interest owner making application shall provide the Committee, and such other interested parties as the Committee may direct, with a proposed form of pooling agreement, and the working interest owners who have interests in the spacing unit to which the proposed pooling agreement relates shall provide the Committee with such information as the Committee deems necessary.
Marginal note:Order of Committee
(4) After a hearing held pursuant to subsection (2), the Committee may order that all working interest owners and royalty owners who have an interest in the spacing unit shall be deemed to have entered into a pooling agreement as set out in the pooling order.
- R.S., c. O-4, s. 22.
Marginal note:Contents of pooling order
32. Every pooling order shall provide
(a) for the drilling and operation of a well on the spacing unit or, where a well that is capable of or that can be made capable of production has been drilled on the spacing unit before the making of the pooling order, for the future production and operation of that well;
(b) for the appointment of a working interest owner as operator to be responsible for the drilling, operation or abandoning of the well whether drilled before or after the making of the pooling order;
(c) for the allocation to each pooled tract of its share of the production of the oil or gas from the pooled spacing unit that is not required, consumed or lost in the operation of the well, which allocation shall be on a prorated area basis unless it can be shown to the satisfaction of the Committee that that basis is unfair, whereupon the Committee may make an allocation on another more equitable basis;
(d) in the event that no production of oil or gas is obtained, for the payment by the applicant therefor of all costs incurred in the drilling and abandoning of the well;
(e) where production has been obtained, for the payment of the actual costs of drilling the well, whether drilled before or after the making of the pooling order, and for the payment of the actual costs of the completion, operation and abandoning of the well; and
(f) for the sale by the operator of any oil or gas allocated pursuant to paragraph (c) to a working interest owner where the working interest owner thereof fails to take in kind and dispose of the production, and for the deduction out of the proceeds by the operator of his expenses reasonably incurred in connection with the sale.
- R.S., c. O-4, s. 22;
- 1976-77, c. 55, s. 5(E).
- Date modified: