35. Where the certification of a bargaining agent for a bargaining unit is revoked by the Board pursuant to section 29, 30, 31 or 32 and as a result thereof a collective agreement or arbitral award binding on the employees in the bargaining unit ceases to be in effect or a collective agreement or arbitral award applying to the bargaining unit is void, the Board shall, on application to it by or on behalf of any employee and in accordance with any regulations made by it in respect thereof, direct the manner in which any right acquired by, or determined by the Board to have accrued to, an employee that is affected by the revocation is to be recognized and given effect to.
Marginal note:Mergers, amalgamations and transfers of jurisdiction
36. Where, on a merger or an amalgamation of employee organizations or a transfer of jurisdiction among employee organizations otherwise than as a result of revocation of certification, any question arises concerning the rights, privileges and duties of an employee organization under this Part or under a collective agreement or arbitral award in respect of a bargaining unit or an employee therein, the Board, on application to it by any employee organization affected, shall examine the question and may, in accordance with any regulations made by it in respect thereof, declare or determine what rights, privileges and duties, if any, have been acquired or are retained, as the case may be, by that employee organization.
Negotiation of Collective Agreements
Notice to Bargain Collectively
Marginal note:Notice to bargain collectively
37. (1) Where the Board has certified an employee organization as bargaining agent for a bargaining unit, the bargaining agent, on behalf of the employees in the bargaining unit, may require the employer affected or the employer may require the bargaining agent, by notice in writing given in accordance with subsection (2), to commence bargaining collectively, with a view to the conclusion of a collective agreement.
Marginal note:When notice may be given
(2) Notice to bargain collectively may be given
(a) where no collective agreement or arbitral award is in force and no request for arbitration has been made by either of the parties in accordance with this Part, at any time; and
(b) where a collective agreement or arbitral award is in force, within the period of two months before the agreement or award ceases to operate.
Where Notice Given
Marginal note:Commencement of collective bargaining
38. Where notice to bargain collectively has been given, the bargaining agent and the officers designated to represent the employer affected shall, without delay, but in any case within twenty days after the notice was given or within such further time as the parties may agree, meet and commence to bargain collectively in good faith and make every reasonable effort to conclude a collective agreement.
Marginal note:Continuation in force of terms and conditions
39. Where notice to bargain collectively has been given, any term or condition of employment applicable to the employees in the bargaining unit in respect of which the notice was given that may be embodied in a collective agreement and that was in force on the day the notice was given shall remain in force and shall be observed by the employer affected, the bargaining agent for the bargaining unit and the employees in the bargaining unit, except as otherwise provided by any agreement in that behalf that may be entered into by the employer and the bargaining agent, until such time as
(a) a collective agreement has been entered into by the parties and no request for arbitration in respect of that term or condition of employment, or in respect of any term or condition of employment proposed to be substituted therefor, has been made in the manner and within the time prescribed therefor by this Part; or
(b) a request for arbitration in respect of that term or condition of employment, or in respect of any term or condition of employment proposed to be substituted therefor, has been made in accordance with this Part and a collective agreement has been entered into or an arbitral award has been rendered in respect thereof.
- Date modified: