Marginal note:Regulations of Governor in Council
21 The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Commission, make regulations prescribing how any position or person, or class of positions or persons, excluded under section 20 from the application of this Act or any of its provisions is to be dealt with.
Regulations of Commission
Marginal note:General regulatory power
(2) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), the Commission may make regulations
(a) establishing for any person or class of persons a right to be appointed — in priority to all persons other than those referred to in sections 39.1 and 40 and subsections 41(1) and (4) — during the period specified by the Commission, to any position for which the Commission is satisfied that they meet the essential qualifications referred to in paragraph 30(2)(a);
(b) determining the order of priority of the rights to appointment established by any regulations made under paragraph (a);
(c) respecting appointments on an acting basis and the maximum period for which any such appointments or any class of such appointments may be made, and excluding any such appointments or class from the operation of any or all of the provisions of this Act;
(d) for the purpose of facilitating the implementation of employment equity programs developed by an employer or a deputy head, respecting the appointment to or from within the public service of persons belonging to a designated group within the meaning of section 3 of the Employment Equity Act, and excluding any such persons or any group of such persons from the operation of any or all of the provisions of this Act;
(e) respecting the appointment of persons within the executive group or to the executive group from within or outside the public service, and excluding any such persons or any class of such persons from the operation of any or all of the provisions of this Act;
(f) respecting the disclosure of information obtained in the course of an investigation under this Act;
(g) defining incumbent-based process for the purposes of subsection 34(1);
(h) prescribing the manner in which and the period within which allegations are to be made, and the manner in which investigations are to be conducted under Part 7;
(i) respecting the manner of laying off employees and the manner of selecting employees to be laid off, for the purposes of section 64; and
(j) prescribing circumstances for the purposes of section 50.2.
- 2003, c. 22, s. 12 “22”;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 100;
- 2013, c. 18, s. 59;
- 2015, c. 5, s. 2.
Reports — Commission
Marginal note:Preparation of report
23 (1) The Commission shall, as soon as possible after the end of each fiscal year, prepare and transmit to the minister designated by the Governor in Council for the purposes of this section a report for that fiscal year in respect of matters under its jurisdiction.
Marginal note:Tabling in Parliament
(2) The minister to whom the report is transmitted shall cause the report to be laid before each House of Parliament within the first fifteen days on which that House is sitting after the minister receives it.
Marginal note:Special reports
(3) The Commission may, at any time, make a special report to Parliament referring to and commenting on any matter within the scope of the powers and functions of the Commission where, in the opinion of the Commission, the matter is of such urgency or importance that a report on it should not be deferred until the time provided for transmission of the next annual report of the Commission.
Marginal note:Delegation by deputy head
Marginal note:Subdelegation by deputy head
(2) Where the Commission has authorized a deputy head under subsection 15(1) to exercise or perform any of the Commission’s powers and functions, the deputy head may — subject to the Commission’s approval and any terms and conditions specified under that subsection — authorize another person to exercise or perform any of those powers or functions, other than the power to revoke appointments.
Marginal note:Acting deputy head
25 In the absence of the deputy head of a department or other organization, the powers and functions of the deputy head may be exercised by the person designated by the deputy head to act in his or her absence or, if no person has been so designated or there is no deputy head,
(b) any other person designated by the Governor in Council.
Regulations and Policies of Employer
Marginal note:Regulations of Treasury Board
(a) respecting deployments;
(b) defining the word promotion for the purposes of subsection 51(5);
(c) establishing periods of probation for the purposes of subsection 61(1) and notice periods for the purposes of subsection 62(1); and
(d) in respect of any occupational group or part of one, extending or changing to levels the provisions of this Act that apply to positions.
Marginal note:Policies of separate agencies
(2) A separate agency to which the Commission has exclusive authority to make appointments may make policies for the purposes referred to in subsection (1) in respect of the separate agency.
Marginal note:Consultation by employer
27 An employer shall, on request or if it considers consultation necessary or desirable,
(a) consult with the Commission, or any employee organization certified as a bargaining agent under the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act, with respect to regulations made under paragraph 26(1)(b) or (d) or corresponding policies made under subsection 26(2), as the case may be; and
(b) consult with any employee organization so certified with respect to regulations made under paragraph 26(1)(a) or (c) or corresponding policies made under subsection 26(2), as the case may be, or with respect to any standards established under subsection 31(1).
- 2003, c. 22, s. 12 “27”;
- 2017, c. 9, s. 55.
28 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 222]
Authority to Appoint
Marginal note:Commission’s exclusive authority
29 (1) Except as provided in this Act, the Commission has the exclusive authority to make appointments, to or from within the public service, of persons for whose appointment there is no authority in or under any other Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Request of deputy head
(2) The Commission’s authority under subsection (1) may only be exercised at the request of the deputy head of the organization to which the appointment is to be made.
Marginal note:Commission policies
(3) The Commission may establish policies respecting the manner of making and revoking appointments and taking corrective action.
Basis of Appointment
Marginal note:Appointment on basis of merit
Marginal note:Meaning of merit
(2) An appointment is made on the basis of merit when
(a) the Commission is satisfied that the person to be appointed meets the essential qualifications for the work to be performed, as established by the deputy head, including official language proficiency; and
(b) the Commission has regard to
(i) any additional qualifications that the deputy head may consider to be an asset for the work to be performed, or for the organization, currently or in the future,
(ii) any current or future operational requirements of the organization that may be identified by the deputy head, and
(iii) any current or future needs of the organization that may be identified by the deputy head.
Marginal note:Needs of public service
(3) The current and future needs of the organization referred to in subparagraph (2)(b)(iii) may include current and future needs of the public service, as identified by the employer, that the deputy head determines to be relevant to the organization.
(4) The Commission is not required to consider more than one person in order for an appointment to be made on the basis of merit.
- Date modified: