Authority to Enter into Agreement
Marginal note:Authority of Treasury Board
111. The Treasury Board may, in the manner that may be provided for by any rules or procedures determined by it under section 5 of the Financial Administration Act, enter into a collective agreement with the bargaining agent for a bargaining unit, other than a bargaining unit composed of employees of a separate agency.
Marginal note:Authority of separate agency
112. A separate agency may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, enter into a collective agreement with the bargaining agent for a bargaining unit composed of employees of the separate agency.
Restriction on Content of Collective Agreement
Marginal note:Collective agreement not to require legislative implementation
113. A collective agreement may not, directly or indirectly, alter or eliminate any existing term or condition of employment or establish any new term or condition of employment if
(a) doing so would require the enactment or amendment of any legislation by Parliament, except for the purpose of appropriating money required for the implementation of the term or condition; or
Duration and Effect
Marginal note:Agreement is binding
114. Subject to, and for the purposes of, this Part, a collective agreement is binding on the employer, the bargaining agent and every employee in the bargaining unit on and after the day on which it has effect. To the extent that the collective agreement deals with matters referred to in section 12 of the Financial Administration Act, the collective agreement is also binding, on and after that day, on every deputy head responsible for any portion of the federal public administration that employs employees in the bargaining unit.
Marginal note:When agreement has effect
115. A collective agreement has effect in respect of a bargaining unit as of
(a) the effective date specified in it; or
(b) if no effective date is specified, the first day of the month after the month in which the agreement is signed.
Marginal note:Minimum duration
116. A collective agreement is deemed to have effect for one year, unless a longer period is specified in the collective agreement.
Marginal note:Duty to implement provisions of the collective agreement
117. Subject to the appropriation by or under the authority of Parliament of money that may be required by the employer, the parties must implement the provisions of a collective agreement
(a) within the period specified in the collective agreement for that purpose; or
(b) if no such period is specified in the collective agreement, within 90 days after the date it is signed or any longer period that the parties may agree to or that the Board, on application by either party, may set.
- Date modified: