Marginal note:Mediation services
15. The mediation services to be provided by the Board consist of
(a) assisting parties in the negotiation of collective agreements and their renewal;
(b) assisting parties in the management of the relations resulting from the implementation of collective agreements;
(c) mediating in relation to grievances; and
(d) assisting the Chairperson in discharging his or her responsibilities under this Act.
16. [Repealed, 2013, c. 40, s. 296]
Marginal note:National Joint Council
17. The Board’s mandate includes the provision of facilities and administrative support to the National Joint Council.
Appointment of Members
18. (1) To be eligible to hold office as a member, a person must
(b) not hold any other office or employment under the employer;
(c) not be a member of or hold an office or employment under an employee organization certified as a bargaining agent;
(d) not carry on any activity inconsistent with the person’s functions; and
(e) have knowledge of or experience in labour relations.
(2) Despite paragraph (1)(b), a person is not ineligible to hold office as a member by reason only of holding office as a member of any board that may be constituted by the Legislature of Yukon, of the Northwest Territories or for Nunavut with powers and functions similar to those of the Board.
- 2003, c. 22, ss. 2 “18”, 273;
- 2014, c. 2, s. 54.
Marginal note:Appointments of other members from list
19. (1) Every member, other than the Chairperson or a Vice-Chairperson, must be appointed from among eligible persons whose names are included on a list prepared by the Chairperson after consultation with the employer and the bargaining agents.
(2) The Chairperson must set out on the list
(a) the names of all eligible persons recommended by the employer;
(b) the names of all eligible persons recommended by the bargaining agents; and
(c) the names of any other eligible persons whom the Chairperson considers suitable for appointment.
Marginal note:Equal numbers
(3) The appointment of members, other than the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons, is to be made so as to ensure that, to the extent possible, an equal number are appointed from among persons recommended by the employer and from among persons recommended by the bargaining agents.
Marginal note:Non-representative Board
(4) Despite being recommended by the employer or the bargaining agents, a member does not represent either the employer or the employees and must act impartially in respect of all powers and functions under this Act.
- Date modified: