Marginal note:Registration or amendment
8 (1) If the Minister considers that the health and environmental risks and the value of the pest control product are acceptable after any required evaluations and consultations have been completed, the Minister shall register the product or amend its registration in accordance with the regulations, if any, by
(a) specifying the conditions relating to its manufacture, handling, storage, transport, import, export, packaging, distribution, use or disposal, including conditions relating to its composition and, subject to subsection (2), its label;
(b) assigning a registration number to the product in the case of a new registration and, where the Minister considers it appropriate, in the case of an amendment; and
(c) specifying the period for which the registration or amended registration is valid, which period may be either finite or indefinite.
Marginal note:Conditions relating to label
(2) The Minister may specify conditions relating to the label of a pest control product, otherwise than in accordance with the regulations, if the Minister is satisfied that the purposes of this Act can be met by so doing.
Marginal note:Provision of safety information to workplaces
(3) Without limiting the generality of paragraph (1)(a), the Minister shall specify, as a condition of registration, the requirement for product safety information, including a material safety data sheet for the product, to be provided to workplaces where the pest control product is used or manufactured, in accordance with the regulations made under paragraph 67(1)(s).
Marginal note:Denial of application
(4) The Minister shall deny an application referred to in subsection 7(1) if the Minister does not consider that the health or environmental risks of a pest control product are, or its value is, acceptable.
Marginal note:Sales data
(5) A registrant of a pest control product shall, as a condition of registration, record, retain and report to the Minister information on sales of the product in the form and manner directed by the Minister and in accordance with the regulations made under paragraph 67(1)(u).
Marginal note:Former registrants
(6) The obligation under subsection (5) to retain and report sales information in respect of a pest control product continues to apply to a former registrant after that product ceases to be registered.
Maximum Residue Limits
Marginal note:Specification at time of registration decision
9 When making a decision regarding the registration of a pest control product, the Minister shall, if necessary, specify any maximum residue limits for the product or for its components or derivatives that the Minister considers appropriate in the circumstances.
Marginal note:Specification for unregistered products and uses
10 (1) The Minister may specify maximum residue limits for an unregistered pest control product or its components or derivatives, or for a registered pest control product or its components or derivatives with respect to a use that is not provided for by its registration, whether or not an application under subsection (2) is made for that purpose.
Marginal note:Application for specification
(2) Any person may make an application to the Minister to specify maximum residue limits pursuant to subsection (1). Section 7, with any necessary modifications, applies to that application.
Marginal note:Evaluation of health risks
(3) When specifying maximum residue limits for a pest control product or its components or derivatives pursuant to subsection (1), the Minister shall evaluate only the health risks of the product or its components or derivatives.
Marginal note:Health risks to be considered acceptable
Marginal note:Relevant factors
(2) If a decision referred to in paragraph 28(1)(a) or (b) is being made or has been made in relation to a pest control product, the Minister shall, in evaluating and determining whether the health risks associated with maximum residue limits for that pest control product or its components or derivatives are acceptable under subsection (1),
(a) among other relevant factors, consider available information on
(i) aggregate exposure to the pest control product, namely dietary exposure and exposure from other non-occupational sources, including drinking water and use in and around homes and schools,
(ii) cumulative effects of the pest control product and other pest control products that have a common mechanism of toxicity, and
(iii) the different sensitivities to pest control products of major identifiable subgroups, including pregnant women, infants, children, women and seniors; and
(b) in the case of a threshold effect, apply a margin of safety that is ten times greater than the margin of safety that would otherwise be applicable under subparagraph 7(7)(b)(ii) or 19(2)(b)(ii) in respect of that threshold effect, to take into account potential pre- and post-natal toxicity and completeness of the data with respect to the exposure of, and toxicity to, infants and children, unless, on the basis of reliable scientific data, the Minister has determined that a different margin of safety would be appropriate.
Additional Information and Mandatory Reporting
Marginal note:Additional information
(a) to compile information, conduct tests and monitor experience with the pest control product for the purpose of obtaining additional information with respect to its effects on human health and safety or the environment or with respect to its value; and
(b) to report the additional information to the Minister within the time and in the form specified in the notice.
Marginal note:Condition of registration
(2) A requirement under subsection (1) is a condition of registration.
Marginal note:Mandatory reporting
13 An applicant for registration of a pest control product, a person who makes an application under subsection 10(2) or a registrant shall report any prescribed information that relates to the health or environmental risks or the value of the pest control product to the Minister within the prescribed time and in the form and manner directed by the Minister.
Marginal note:Determination by Minister
14 After considering any information reported under section 12 or 13, the Minister shall determine whether a special review of the registration of the pest control product should be initiated.
Marginal note:Public availability
15 After considering any information reported under section 13, the Minister shall place his or her conclusions in the Register and shall make public those conclusions if, in the Minister’s opinion,
(a) the pest control product poses a significant health or environmental risk; or
(b) it is in the public interest to do so.
Re-evaluation and Special Review
Marginal note:Minister’s discretion to initiate re-evaluation
16 (1) The Minister may initiate the re-evaluation of a registered pest control product if the Minister considers that, since the product was registered, there has been a change in the information required, or the procedures used, for the evaluation of the health or environmental risks or the value of pest control products of the same class or kind.
Marginal note:Minister required to initiate re-evaluation
(2) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1),
(a) if a decision of a type referred to in paragraph 28(1)(a) or (b) was made in relation to a pest control product on or after April 1, 1995, the Minister shall initiate a re-evaluation of that product no later than one year after 15 years have elapsed since the most recent decision of that type; and
(b) if the most recent decision of a type referred to in paragraph 28(1)(a) or (b) was made in relation to a pest control product before April 1, 1995, the Minister shall initiate a re-evaluation of that product no later than April 1, 2005 or the date that is one year after 15 years have elapsed since that decision, whichever date is later.
Marginal note:Notice requesting information
(3) Re-evaluation of a pest control product is initiated by the Minister delivering a notice in writing to the registrant explaining the reasons for initiating the re-evaluation and, if considered necessary by the Minister, requiring the registrant to provide information in the form and within the period specified in the notice.
Marginal note:Request for information from departments and provinces
(4) After the re-evaluation is initiated, the Minister shall deliver a notice to federal and provincial government departments and agencies whose interests and concerns are affected by the federal regulatory system requesting them to provide, in the form and within the period specified in the notice, information in respect of the health and environmental risks and the value of the product that is under re-evaluation.
Marginal note:Provision of information when more than one registrant
(5) If there is more than one registrant whose registered pest control products have active ingredients that the Minister has determined to be equivalent,
(a) two or more registrants may provide the information required under subsection (3) or paragraph 19(1)(a) jointly; and
(b) where the Minister is satisfied that the information required under subsection (3) or paragraph 19(1)(a) has been provided by one or more registrants, the Minister shall, subject to and in accordance with the regulations made under paragraph 67(1)(h), permit another registrant to use or rely on that information to meet the requirements of those provisions.
Marginal note:Evaluation of pest control product
(6) After the re-evaluation is initiated, the Minister shall, in accordance with the regulations, if any, conduct any evaluations that the Minister considers necessary with respect to the health or environmental risks or the value of the pest control product and shall carry out the consultations required by section 28.
- Date modified: