Marginal note:Diversion order
35. The Minister may order the diversion of a conveyance to any place in Canada specified by the Minister if the Minister has reasonable grounds to believe that doing so is necessary to prevent the introduction and spread of a communicable disease.
Marginal note:Civil Air Navigation Services Commercialization Act
35.1 If the Minister makes an order under section 35, the Minister may order a provider of air navigation services, within the meaning of section 2 of the Civil Air Navigation Services Commercialization Act, to relay the order.
Marginal note:Communication of information to passengers
36. A person engaged in the business of carrying persons or cargo shall, at the request of a screening officer, a quarantine officer or an environmental health officer, communicate or distribute to travellers information or questionnaires provided by the officer.
Marginal note:Screening officer
37. (1) If a screening officer has reasonable grounds to suspect that a conveyance, its cargo or any other thing on board the conveyance is a source of a communicable disease, the officer shall immediately inform an environmental health officer and follow any directive of that officer respecting the matter.
Marginal note:Detention, etc.
(2) The screening officer may detain the conveyance referred to in subsection (1), or the conveyance of an operator who does not comply with section 38, take any reasonable measures to prevent entry to or exit from it or access to it or its contents or take the conveyance to a specified place, until an environmental health officer inspects the conveyance.
Marginal note:Duty to provide information
38. The operator shall answer any relevant questions asked by a screening officer, a quarantine officer or an environmental health officer and provide the officer with any information or record in the operator’s possession that the officer may reasonably require in the performance of a duty under this Act.
Marginal note:Order of environmental health officer
39. (1) If an environmental health officer has reasonable grounds to believe that a conveyance, its cargo or any other thing on board the conveyance could be the source of a communicable disease, the officer may order the owner or operator of the conveyance or any person using it for the business of carrying persons or cargo to
(a) take any reasonable measures to prevent entry to or exit from the conveyance or access to it or its contents;
(b) take the conveyance to a specified place;
(c) disinfect, disinfest, decontaminate or fumigate the conveyance, its contents or any place where the conveyance or its contents have been, in a manner directed by the officer;
(d) destroy or dispose of the conveyance, its contents or any cargo or other thing that has been on board the conveyance;
(e) carry out any measures reasonably necessary to prevent the introduction and spread of a communicable disease; or
(f) remove the conveyance and its contents from Canada and present a declaration of health to the appropriate health authorities in the country of destination.
Marginal note:Report to country of destination
(2) An environmental health officer who makes an order under paragraph (1)(f) shall immediately report the evidence found on the conveyance and the control measures required to the appropriate authority in the country of destination.
- Date modified: