PART ICONSTITUTION AND ORGANIZATION
Composition of Force
Marginal note:Police Force for Canada
3. There shall continue to be a police force for Canada, which shall consist of officers and other members and be known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- R.S., c. R-9, s. 3.
Marginal note:Employment of Force
4. The Force may be employed in such places within or outside Canada as the Governor in Council prescribes.
- R.S., c. R-9, s. 4.
5. (1) The Governor in Council may appoint an officer, to be known as the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, to hold office during pleasure, who, under the direction of the Minister, has the control and management of the Force and all matters connected with the Force.
(2) The Commissioner may delegate to any member, subject to any terms and conditions that the Commissioner directs, any of the Commissioner’s powers, duties or functions under this Act, except the power to delegate under this subsection, the power to make rules under this Act and the powers, duties or functions under subsections 45.4(5) and 45.41(10).
- R.S., 1985, c. R-10, s. 5;
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), s. 2;
- 2013, c. 18, ss. 3, 77.
Officers and Members
Marginal note:Other officers
6. (1) The officers of the Force, in addition to the Commissioner, shall consist of
(a) Deputy Commissioners,
(b) Assistant Commissioners,
(c) Chief Superintendents,
(f) [Repealed, R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), s. 3]
and such other ranks as are prescribed by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Maximum number
(2) The maximum number of officers in each rank shall be as prescribed by the Treasury Board.
Marginal note:Appointment of Deputy Commissioners
(3) The Governor in Council may appoint any person to the rank of Deputy Commissioner to hold office during pleasure.
Marginal note:Appointment of other officers
(4) The Commissioner may appoint any person to any other rank of officer and, by way of promotion, appoint an officer to a higher rank, other than to the rank of Deputy Commissioner.
(5) The Governor in Council may authorize the issue of a commission under the Great Seal to an officer on the officer’s first appointment to the rank of an officer or on the recommendation of the Commissioner.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-10, s. 6;
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (2nd Supp.), ss. 3, 24(E);
- 2013, c. 18, s. 5.
- Date modified: