Marginal note:Regulations — safety management systems
47.1 (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the development and implementation of safety management systems by railway companies, including the criteria to which the safety management systems must conform.
Marginal note:Regulations — protection of the environment
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations restricting or otherwise governing the release of pollutants into the environment from the operation of railway equipment.
- 1999, c. 9, s. 34.
Incorporation by Reference
Marginal note:Incorporation by reference
48. A regulation made under this Act incorporating by reference a classification, standard, procedure or other specification may incorporate the classification, standard, procedure or specification as amended from time to time.
Marginal note:Safety regulations prevail
49. A regulation made under subsection 7(1) or section 7.1, 18, 24, 37, 47 or 47.1, or a rule in force under section 19 or 20, prevails over an order, rule or regulation made under any other Act of Parliament to the extent of any inconsistency between them.
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (4th Supp.), s. 49;
- 1999, c. 9, s. 35.
Publication of Regulations
Marginal note:Publication of proposed regulations
50. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a copy of each regulation that is proposed to be made under subsection 7(1), section 7.1, subsection 16(5.1) or section 18, 24, 37, 47 or 47.1 shall be published in the Canada Gazette at least 90 days before its proposed effective date, and interested persons shall be given a reasonable opportunity within those 90 days to make representations to the Minister with respect to the regulation.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a proposed regulation that
(a) has previously been published pursuant to that subsection, whether or not it has been changed as a result of representations made pursuant to that subsection; or
(b) makes no substantive change to an existing regulation.
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (4th Supp.), s. 50;
- 1999, c. 9, s. 36;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 485.
Review of Act
Marginal note:Minister to cause review of Act to be conducted
51. (1) The Minister shall, before the expiration of a period of five years after the coming into force of this section, establish a committee of not fewer than three nor more than five persons appointed by the Minister having expertise in matters affected by this Act to conduct a comprehensive review of the operation of this Act, which review shall, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, include an evaluation of the impact of this Act on the safety of railway operations and recommendations for such amendments to this Act as the committee considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Powers of committee
(2) The committee has, for the purposes of carrying out its duties, the powers of a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act and may, for those purposes, engage the services of such experts, professionals and other staff as it deems necessary or advisable at such rates of remuneration as the Treasury Board approves.
(3) The committee shall, not later than one year after the expiration of the period referred to in subsection (1), make a report to the Minister of its findings, evaluation and recommendations as referred to in that subsection, and the Minister shall cause a copy of the report to be laid before each House of Parliament within fifteen sitting days of that House after the report has been made to the Minister.
- Date modified: