Marginal note:Engineering work
11. All the engineering work relating to railway works, including design, construction, evaluation or alteration, shall be done in accordance with sound engineering principles. A professional engineer shall take responsibility for the engineering work.
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (4th Supp.), s. 11;
- 1999, c. 9, s. 7.
Grants for Proposed Railway Works and Other Undertakings Contributing to Safe Railway Operations and to Public Safety at Road Crossings
Marginal note:Grants relating to crossings at grade
12. (1) Where a proposed railway work
(a) would improve the safety of a crossing at grade of a road and a line of railway, or
(b) would cause or permit, in the interest of safe railway operations, the abandonment or relocation of a crossing at grade of a road and a line of railway,
and that crossing has been in existence for public use for at least three years, the proponent may file an application with the Minister for a grant in respect of that proposed railway work.
(2) Where a proposed railway work results, directly or indirectly, from an order of the Agency under section 7 or 8 of the Railway Relocation and Crossing Act and would improve the safety of a crossing at grade of a road and a line of railway, the proponent may file an application with the Minister for a grant in respect of that proposed railway work.
Marginal note:Time for applying for grant
(3) The proponent may apply for a grant under this section only if
(a) where the Minister’s approval is not required under section 10, the proponent applies for the grant before undertaking the work; or
(b) where the Minister’s approval is required under section 10, the proponent applies for the grant at the same time as it files the request for approval under section 10.
Marginal note:Minister may authorize making of grant
(4) Where an application is received by the Minister under this section, the Minister may, if satisfied that the application has been duly made and that the safety of railway operations will be enhanced by the carrying out of the proposed railway work, authorize the making of a grant for the purpose of defraying a part of the construction or alteration cost of that work.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions of grant
(5) In authorizing the making of a grant under this section, the Minister may attach such terms and conditions to the grant as the Minister deems advisable, including requirements to provide the Minister with evidence of expenditure on the work.
Marginal note:Maximum grant level
(6) The amount of a grant that may be authorized by the Minister under this section in respect of a proposed railway work shall not exceed eighty per cent of the construction or alteration cost of the work, as determined by the Minister.
Marginal note:Extended meaning of “railway work”
(7) In this section, “railway work” includes the relocation of any portion of a public road.
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (4th Supp.), s. 12;
- 1999, c. 9, s. 37(E).
- Date modified: