Marginal note:Agreements for closing road crossings
12.1 (1) The Minister may enter into an agreement with a person who has rights under Part III of the Canada Transportation Act, or otherwise, relating to a road crossing to close the crossing in the interest of safe railway operations.
Marginal note:Grants relating to closing crossings
(2) The agreement may provide for the making of a grant to the person by the Minister and may contain any terms and conditions relating to the closure that the Minister deems advisable. Once the agreement is made, the person’s rights relating to the crossing are extinguished.
- 1999, c. 9, s. 8.
Marginal note:Grants for construction or alteration of grade separations
13. (1) Where a proposed railway work consists of the construction or alteration, in the interest of safe railway operations, of a grade separation, the proponent may file an application with the Minister for a grant in respect of that proposed railway work.
Marginal note:Time for applying for grant
(2) The proponent may apply for a grant under this section only if
(a) where the Minister’s approval is not required under section 10, the proponent applies for the grant before undertaking the work; or
(b) where the Minister’s approval is required under section 10, the proponent applies for the grant at the same time as it files the request for approval under section 10.
Marginal note:Minister may authorize making of grant
(3) Where an application is received by the Minister under this section, the Minister may, if satisfied that the application has been duly made and that the safety of railway operations will be enhanced or sustained by the carrying out of the proposed railway work, authorize the making of a grant for the purpose of defraying a part of the construction or alteration cost of that work.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions of grant
(4) In authorizing the making of a grant under this section, the Minister may attach such terms and conditions to the grant as the Minister deems advisable, including requirements to provide the Minister with evidence of expenditure on the work.
Marginal note:Maximum grant level
(5) The amount of a grant that may be authorized by the Minister under this section in respect of a proposed railway work shall not exceed eighty per cent of the construction or alteration cost of the work, as determined by the Minister.
Marginal note:Definition of “grade separation”
(6) In this section, “grade separation” means structures necessary to provide for
(a) the passage of a public road under or over a line of railway; or
(b) the passage of a line of railway under or over a public road.
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (4th Supp.), s. 13;
- 1999, c. 9, s. 37(E).
- Date modified: