Railway Safety Act
Marginal note:Reference to Agency
16 (1) The proponent of a railway work, and each beneficiary of the work, may refer the apportionment of liability for the construction, alteration, operational or maintenance costs of the work to the Agency for a determination if they cannot agree on the apportionment and if no recourse is available under Part III of the Canada Transportation Act or the Railway Relocation and Crossing Act. The referral may be made either before or after construction or alteration of the work begins.
Marginal note:Manner of reference
(2) A reference to the Agency under subsection (1) shall be made by notice in a form prescribed by the regulations made under subsection (5), and that notice shall be accompanied by such information relating to the proposed railway work as is prescribed by those regulations.
Marginal note:Further information
(3) The Agency may, in its discretion, by notice sent to the person referring a matter or to any person who might have referred a matter, require that person to give the Agency, within such period as it specifies in the notice, such further information relating to actual or anticipated construction, alteration, operational and maintenance costs in respect of the railway work, or benefits arising from the completion of the work, as the Agency specifies in the notice.
Marginal note:Agency to apportion expenditure
(4) Where a matter is referred to the Agency under subsection (1), the Agency shall, having regard to any grant made under section 12 or 13 in respect of that matter, the relative benefits that each person who has, or who might have, referred the matter stands to gain from the work, and to any other factor that it considers relevant, determine the proportion of the liability for construction, alteration, operational and maintenance costs to be borne by each person, and that liability shall be apportioned accordingly.
(5) The Agency may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, make regulations
Marginal note:Extended meaning of “railway work”
(6) In this section, “railway work” includes the relocation of any portion of a public road.
- R.S., 1985, c. 32 (4th Supp.), s. 16;
- 1996, c. 10, s. 264;
- 1999, c. 9, s. 10.
- Date modified: