Marginal note:Compound interest on amounts owed by Her Majesty
35. Interest shall be compounded daily at the specified rate on amounts owed by Her Majesty in right of Canada to a person and computed for the period beginning on the first day after the day on which the amount is required to be paid by Her Majesty in right of Canada and ending on the day on which the amount is paid or is applied against an amount owed by the person to Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Application of interest provisions if Act amended
36. For greater certainty, if a provision of an Act amends this Act and provides that the amendment comes into force on, or applies as of, a particular day that is before the day on which that Act is assented to, the provisions of this Act that relate to the calculation and payment of interest apply in respect of the amendment as though that Act had been assented to on the particular day.
Marginal note:Waiving or cancelling interest or penalty
37. (1) The Minister may, on or before the day that is 10 calendar years after the end of a reporting period, or on application by a person on or before that day, waive or cancel any amount otherwise payable to the Receiver General under this Act that is interest or a penalty payable under section 64 on an amount that is required to be paid by the person under this Act in respect of that reporting period.
Marginal note:Interest if amounts cancelled
(2) If a person has paid an amount of interest or penalty and the Minister cancels that amount under subsection (1), the Minister shall pay interest on the amount paid by the person beginning on the day that is 30 days after the day on which the Minister received a request in a manner satisfactory to the Minister to apply that subsection and ending on the day on which the amount is refunded or applied against an amount owed by the person to Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Administrative Charge under the Financial Administration Act
Marginal note:Dishonoured instruments
38. For the purposes of this Act and section 155.1 of the Financial Administration Act, any charge that becomes payable at any time by a person under the Financial Administration Act in respect of an instrument tendered in payment or settlement of an amount that is payable under this Act is deemed to be an amount that becomes payable by the person at that time under this Act. In addition, Part II of the Interest and Administrative Charges Regulations does not apply to the charge and any debt under subsection 155.1(3) of the Financial Administration Act in respect of the charge is deemed to be extinguished at the time the total of the amount and any applicable interest under this Act is paid.
Marginal note:Statutory recovery rights
39. Except as specifically provided under this Act or the Financial Administration Act, no person has a right to recover any money paid to Her Majesty in right of Canada as or on account of, or that has been taken into account by Her Majesty in right of Canada as, an amount payable under this Act.
- Date modified: