Marginal note:Reports on status of wildlife species
128. Five years after this section comes into force and at the end of each subsequent period of five years, the Minister must prepare a general report on the status of wildlife species. The Minister must have the report tabled in each House of Parliament within the first 15 days that it is sitting after the completion of the report.
Marginal note:Parliamentary review of Act
129. Five years after this section comes into force, a committee of the House of Commons, of the Senate or of both Houses of Parliament is to be designated or established for the purpose of reviewing this Act.
ASSESSMENT OF WILDLIFE SPECIES MENTIONED IN THE SCHEDULES
Marginal note:Assessment of status
130. (1) COSEWIC must assess the status of each wildlife species set out in Schedule 2 or 3, and, as part of the assessment, identify existing and potential threats to the species and
(a) classify the species as extinct, extirpated, endangered, threatened or of special concern;
(b) indicate that COSEWIC does not have sufficient information to classify the species; or
(c) indicate that the species is not currently at risk.
Marginal note:Time for assessment — Schedule 2
(2) In the case of a species set out in Schedule 2, the assessment must be completed within 30 days after section 14 comes into force.
Marginal note:Deemed classification
(3) If an assessment of a wildlife species set out in Schedule 2 is not completed within the required time or, if there has been an extension, within the extended time, COSEWIC is deemed to have classified the species as indicated in Schedule 2.
Marginal note:Time for assessment — Schedule 3
(4) In the case of a species set out in Schedule 3, the assessment must be completed within one year after the competent minister requests the assessment. If there is more than one competent minister with respect to the species, they must make the request jointly.
(5) The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister after consultation with the competent minister or ministers, by order, extend the time provided for the assessment of any species set out in Schedule 2 or 3. The Minister must include a statement in the public registry setting out the reasons for the extension.
Marginal note:Provisions apply
(6) Subsections 15(2) and (3) and 21(1) and section 25 apply with respect to assessments under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Recent reports
(7) In making its assessment of a wildlife species, COSEWIC may take into account and rely on any report on the species that was prepared in the two-year period before this Act receives royal assent.
Marginal note:Section 27 applies
131. Section 27 applies in respect of a wildlife species referred to in section 130 that COSEWIC classifies as extinct, extirpated, endangered, threatened or of special concern or that is deemed to have been so classified.
- Date modified: